Nine: "Good, At Least Around Brice"

THIS CHAPTER HAS A LOT - AND I MEAN A LOT OF SETO BACKSTORY XD

ALSO SOME FEELINGS NEAR THE EN]d WHOOPS

Addict

Ch 9: "Good, At Least Around Brice"

"You know, I've noticed that you are, like, totally overpowered," Brice comments as we run in a random direction.

"Hmm?"

"Like, no one even has a chance at beating you! You're seriously basically invincible. None of these 'battles' have any effect on you, it's crazy!"

"That's a good thing, right?"

"Well, yeah, but- like, there's hardly any suspense!"

I raise an eyebrow. "Do you want there to be suspense?"

"I mean- I guess not, but it'd be cool, you know- And so far the only suspense has been me wondering whether or not you'll keep protecting me like you have been."

"Should I tell you I won't stop protecting you, or will that remove all the suspense?"

"Seto, oh my Jeb! The suspense is gone!"

I roll my eyes, but I can't help but smile. I think I'm starting to like this boy just a little too much. "There's still emotional suspense, if you look hard enough," I say, shrugging slightly.

He tilts his head. "Whaddaya mean?"

"Well. Perhaps not for you."

He furrows his eyebrows, seeming even more confused. "Seriously, what are you talking about?"

And then, without thinking, the words spill out. "Little things. For example, I may cast an easy spell and then doubt myself for a moment – is it going to work? Were my intentions matched morally to the type of magic I was using? Of course, it's always Dark."

Brice's eyebrows shoot up. "You mean, you don't always have dark intentions?"

"I don't know. I suppose not. I force the Dark anyways."

"Why?"

"Why?" I frown a little. "Because that's my only option."

"Why?"

I roll my eyes. "You're like a broken record."

He laughs a little. Then, a few moments later, he says hesitantly, "Can I ask you something?"

"No one's stopping you."

"Okay. Uh... Who- Um, okay, the day we met, you said that no one had told you you were bad. But... I- I don't believe that."

"That wasn't a question," I say stiffly, bristling a little.

"Who was it?"

For a very long while, the only sound to be heard is the rustling of the leaves on the nearby trees.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked, that was super nosy-"

"I had a very close-knit group of friends. Ah, well- I thought I did, anyways," I interrupt quietly.

His eyes widen, and he tugs on my sleeve to pull me to a stop. "What happened?" he asks, forcing me to look at him.

I focus on the collar of his shirt. "There was a friendly enough man who often frequented the alleys in town. Once, in an attempt to speak to him and hopefully help him, I approached one of the alleys he was known to be quite comfortable with.