Chapter 14

I'm storm into a room with a computer on a dusty black desk I vaguely remember being there and sit down on the chair in front of it. I type furiously away at the keys, only to find nothing. Snow and Akili enter the room, and I have my head in my hands. I need to find him. I need to. I feel someone put their hand on my back. "It's ok Sara. We'll find him." Akili says as they both hug me. "Yeah! We're female vampires! We do better research than the FBI!" Snow jokes, and I laugh, forgetting the pain for a second. Where could he be? They could've taken him anywhere. "We need to search for clues." I say, standing up, and we all walk upstairs. I sniff, trying to pick up a scent. Suddenly, I find one. "This ones familiar, but it's not Asa's." I inform Snow and Akili. "Who have we met besides him?" I wonder. "Someone from school?" Snow suggests. I shake my head. "No we raced here, there's no way someone who wasn't a vampire could've followed us. And I know for a fact we're the only vampires in the school. That and the nurse I met, but she stays after. It doesn't make any sense!" I stand there, puzzled. "Well Sara, me and Akili are going to bed." Snow says. "I'm going to stay here to look for clues." I tell her, and they leave. I groan, and lay down on my back. What could've happened? That's when I notice something gleam from underneath the bed. I pick it up. It's a dark red piece of metal, and it reeks of a vampire I've met before. But the question is, who? Maybe it'll come to me in my sleep.

The next day when I wake up, we all sit at the breakfast table, and I show them the metal chunk. But no one knows what it means. We sit in silence, and I can practically hear the humming of my brain. "I'm going to take a walk." I say, leaving the house. As I'm walking I see a guard, but before I can duck into an alleyway he stops me. "Hi, I'm Hunter. I'm off duty, but I'd like to talk to you for a little bit." He says. He's wearing dark red armor, and his hair is messy. I feel his eyes glide down my body. I immediately pull my short, tight black skirt down and adjust my red top with a black skull on it. "Um yes officer what do you want?" I ask nervously. "What's your name." I try to think up a name. I blurt out the only one that comes to mind. "Dawn." He smirks. "Pretty." I want to kick him in the nuts, but I can't draw attention to myself, Asa needs me, and I can't assault a guard if I want to help him. Suddenly his eyes flash, and he shoves me into the alleyway as hard as he can. I go flying, and land with my back to a chain link fence. "What do you want?" I ask him, nervous. I see his dark expression and my stomach drops. "You." My eyes grow wide as he grabs my wrists. I fight, but he's too strong. I kick and punch, but he ties my wrists together and slings me over his shoulder. I keep fighting, and eventually he gets tired and knocks me out.

I wake up on a table in a dark room. My arms and legs are tied up. I try to untie the knots but I can't. The lights go on and I see the guard, Hunter, before me. "My, even when you're tied up your hot aren't you?" He laughs evilly. I see him leaning in like he's gonna kiss me. No way. The minute his face is close enough, I blow ice out of my mouth, and it freezes all over his face, momentarily blinding him. I use this small window of time to burn the ropes binding me. The second they snap, I jump up and burn his face until he's unrecognizable. I freeze his hands and legs as he tries to fight me. Once I think he's had enough I leave him there. I put my hands in my pockets as I walk towards the chilly evening. I feel the metal in my hand. I still don't know what it means. When I step through the door Snow and Akili hug me. "Where were you?!" They both shout. "Some guard almost kidnapped me! He knocked me out, but once I regain consciousness I got him back." I tell them. "Ooh what happened? What did you do to him?" Akili asks excitedly. Wow. I didn't take her as a blood and gore kind of person. I smirk. "Let's just say no one will recognize him anymore." I recall exactly how he looked, the fool. He needs to learn to not mess with the wrong people. Especially ones who are hell bent on finding their missing friend. That's when it hits me. I yank the metal piece out of my pocket. "It's the exact same metal as the armor the vampire guards use." I realize, and Snow and Akili gasp. "And the scent we recognized! The guard that inspected us! Do you know what this means?" I ask, excited. "Guards go to castles."  Akili says, catching on. "Then that means..." Snow says. "Asa's at the castle." I finish. "They must have him there to try to catch me." I reply. "Achlys knows I'm alive. The guard must have told her." I say, and Snow and Akili look at each other. "You can't go then." Snow says calmly, for once. "She has my friend. And I'm going to get him." I argue. They try tying my wrists to the wall, but I just manage to rip out pieces of wall as well. They realize there's no use arguing with me, and we set off towards the castle. Many people look our way, but we pay no attention to them. As we approach the gate to the castle a guard stops us. "You can't go in here." We all look at each other. I cover his mouth and push him so he's up against the wall. I start warming my hand. "My hand is about to be in flames. Now you can open that gate, or I burn your face off and I open it. Will you let us in?" I ask, and he nods fearfully. "Achlys must not have told her guards about me otherwise they wouldn't have let us waltz right in here." I tell Snow and Akili. The guard opens the gate, and there's a loud gunshot, and I drop to the ground.