Chapter 15

As soon as the shot is fired, I jump up, me, Snow, and Akili put our backs together, ready to fight. Three guards race towards us, and I freeze his legs while Snow grabs his flailing hands. Akili starts fighting off the other two guards. I punch him, smiling when I hear a cracking sound when my fist connects with his nose. He manages to get Snow to let go of his arms, and before I can step away, he grabs me and pins my hands behind my back. Snow jumps onto his shoulders, and bends backward, landing on the ground with the guard. Once he lets go, I see Snow kick him in the face. "Please, Do the honors." Snow says with an evil grin, holding him down easily. I burn his crotch, and he screams like a little girl. He's obviously not getting up anytime soon, so we turn to the guards on Akili. One is holding her wrists, and even as she kicks him, his grip is too tight. The other one try's to punch her, but Snow grabs his hand and flips him on his back. I freeze him to the ground, while Snow and Akili "take care" of the last guard. More guards rush to fight, but there's too many of them to fight. "Run!" Akili screams, and we both start to take off, but at the last second my arms are grabbed.

I watch Snow and Akili look back, concerned, but I yell at them to go on without me. I get dragged to a room, and they chain me to a wall so I'm just hanging there. "Is that the one that has powers?" A deep-voiced guard asks. Another one grabs my face and looks into my eyes. I stare at him, infuriated. "Yeah. Red eyes." Says the dark skinned guard. They put metal cuffs around my hands, so I can't touch anything. I glare at them until they leave. As soon as I hear their voices disappear I start making my hands burn up. Eventually, they'll get hot enough and melt the metal. I don't know how long it will take, and I'm running out of time to get Asa back. What if they killed him already? I sigh, feeling powerless. My friends need my help, and I'm not there for them. I hang my head in silence, waiting for the metal to melt.

A couple minutes later I hear a guard open up the door, and I stop heating my hands. Akili and Snow are dragged into the room. "Guys! Are you okay?" I ask nervously. "Yeah we're fine." Akili says, but Snow doesn't reply. That's a first. Then I notice she's looking at nothing. and she seems all spaced out. "Snow!" I shout, and she snaps out of it. "What? Oh yeah we're fine." She replies, and I get a feeling she's not all there. Another guard walks in, and starts chaining Akili up. The guard in the corner chains up Snow, and he shakes his head and chains her up. They all strut out the door, and I hear them walk away. A few minutes later my cuffs are burned off, and I start working on the chains around Snow and Akili's wrists. "This is going to take forever!" I complain. But Snow is still mute. "Ok Snow, spill it!" I bark. "So you have noticed I'm a little spacey! She says happily. I just nod. "Well on the way here there was one stone missing in the wall, and I saw bright blue eyes staring right at me!" She says dramatically. "Ooh mysterious!" Akili says excitedly. The second she stopped talking, a hole in the ground burst up and a guy our age with a girl. The boy is taller than me, muscular, with light brown tousled hair and bright blue eyes. "Hi, I'm Bryer." He says softly. The girl is partially hiding behind him. "Um, Hi I'm Beth." She says shyly. She is short, and she has short raven hair, just past her ears. I notice she has red eyes. I wonder what her power is. She takes a tool and cuts Akili free while Bryer helps Snow down. I notice him hesitate as they look into each other's eyes. He cuts her wrists and picks her up by the waist and sets her down. His hands linger, and they look like they just had a moment. I nudge Akili, and I hear her whisper "aww. They're so cute together." We all introduce our classes, and it turns out Beth is half-blood and Bryer is human. "Come with us. We can get you anywhere in this castle." He says. "Wow!" Snow exclaims. "It's nothing" Bryer says modestly. "We need to get to our friend who's been taken captive." I tell him. "Does he have, red eyes, black hair, super strong?" He asks "that's him!" I say excitedly. "Yeah I know where he is! He keeps talking about some girl named Sara that he misses. It sounds like he really likes her." I feel Snow and Akili look at me. "You can call me Sara." I tell them as we hop down the hole.

We walk in the palace walls until we get to a big room. "The throne room." I hear Beth whisper to Akili. I see Asa chained up, and he's all bruised, but he's alive. I feel bad but I'm so glad he's not dead. "Asa" I whisper I reach out as if to touch him. "I feel someone shaking near me. It's Snow. "I'm so nervous. What if someone dies?" She asks. Bryer pulls her close. "That won't happen. " he says. "I'll protect you." Before I could gush over those two, I notice Achlys herself on her beautiful black marble throne. It has a crest on it. It's a Purple Heart with a dagger in it, bleeding black blood. I recognize that. It's my family crest. I should be sitting on that throne. I look at the monster sitting upon it. She has long red hair that shines in the light, and she looks like a model. Perfect face. Perfect body. Except she has a scar across one eye. "What's with the scar?" I ask Bryer. "The old Vampire King did that when he was fighting for his throne and kingdom against Achlys." My father did that. She started a war, and I'm going to finish it. "Bryer make sure the doors are locked and guards can't get in. Then come back so we can kick her tail!" I order. Him and Beth disappear into the darkness. I light a flame over my finger. I hear Asa mumble. "My Sara.....I have....to get...to her." And my heart drops. I feel a tear going down my cheek. I want to tell him we're here, and I wish I could run into his arms, but I have to wait for the right time to strike. I tell Snow and Akili battle plans. They don't agree at first, but they come around eventually. Then Bryer and Beth come back, and we are ready for battle.