1

ILLUMINATEShawn MendesChapter-1

ILLUMINATE
Shawn Mendes
Chapter-1

"Madi," I exasperate, leaning my head onto my palms as my arms lay straight up on top of the black partner desk. A period of time passes until it begins to get hot, I peel my maroon hoodie off my body, "how much time until class is over?"

"Five minutes. " She whispers back from the next table over, packing up her checkered binder and homework into her black backpack that contains tiny pins from many of her favourite rock, alternative, and folks artists.

Momentarily, she unfastens her tennis shoes and slips into her white soccer cleats, which is confusing considering she has practice later on.

I grab my bag and cram my papers in; the crunching and crumbling of the papers cause the teacher to shoot me a glare. Only then, for the first time in two weeks, I felt the whole class' eyes fixate on me and my messy bag, so I did what anyone else with no shame would do; continue slowly.

The papers continue to crunch and crumble as I zip my bag closed. You'd think I was the type of kid who gets in loads of trouble, but that's where you're mistaken, my friend.

I'm the type of kid whom teachers despise. I don't know if it's just me, but the feeling of pure hatred from someone other than myself gives me a rush of excitement, and makes me glad to be alive. You know what they say, 'ruining lives since '98.'

    Since the beginning of grade nine, I've always pondered what such hate towards anther felt like. That's besides the fact.

I was a not-so-good kid, and you couldn't really blame me since I had, an alcoholic for a mother and a father, sister who lives in a whole different part of the world.

Then I met this one girl. Her name is Madison Montgomery. We met awhile back, I'd say we met a month or two ago. Nothing too dramatic, like first grade, as everyone would say.

We didn't really like each other at first. Actually we hated each other with a burning passion. But something in us changed, now we get along well. Not too sure why, but we get along like brother and sister. Oh, and you can't forget that we fight like bears and tigers; her being the bear and me as the tiger.

Overall, she was pretty cute, but I could never like her. We're too much alike, and even if we weren't, still. God forbid that I say that the only good qualities she has are her looks and a cute smile, but there's more to her than what she puts out.

It wouldn't matter if I liked her anyway. We swore on our lives that if we ever felt something for each other, we don't- under any circumstances- tell anyone, not even each other. Ever.

There was no 'dropping hints' either. I hate love and she hates love, so our friendship couldn't ever grow into anything more.