16

ILLUMINATEShawn MendesChapter-16

ILLUMINATE
Shawn Mendes
Chapter-16

Breathe.

Inhale.

Exhale.

   "I can't do this, what if something happens to her because of me. Or more importantly, what if something happens to me because of her." I inhale a deep breath. "C, I'm only 17, I can't die, I have a family, and there's things I wanna do with my life..." I freak, realizing I just knocked on the door of a possible psychotic.

   "Calm down, Shawn. I could go in with you. Or you don't have to do this at all."

   I shake my head rapidly, "heck no, if you get hurt, it'll be my fault. And it'll definitely be my fault if I don't grow some balls and go in there and help her. "

   My phone vibrates unexpectedly.

   Mum.

   "H-hi mum."

   Instead of a subtle sweet greeting, my ear is getting its very first verbal beating. "Slow down, mum, I can't understand what you're saying."

   "YOU'RE IN BIG TROUBLE." She shouts on the line and aggressively hangs up.

   "I think she knows. I think she knows about my dad, my dad he'd stayed the night, last night. I think she may have seen him." I begin to panic at the amount of trouble I've been getting myself into lately.

   "God Shawn, ever hear of mind over matter? Maybe if you do some of that, you'd stop being negative. I thought Ian and I taught you better than that." She hangs down her head, walking back to the car.

   "She's right. Mind over matter, Mind over matter." I stare the door down and daze into a mid-daydream. No, not the right time for this.

   "Wow, I- you're just-wow." I was speechless, as she walked out the dressing room in a pretty white dress.

   Tonight, I was the one taking her to prom, the one to keep her for the night.

   I don't want to sound possessive, but I'm glad she's mine for the night, even if we're not 'together-together'. I don't mind, sounds odd since I was dying for her inevitable love all year long, huh?

   I'm all over the 'love' thing, in all honesty, my love for her sort of fell out of place three months ago when she dated the new kid, Cameron, the total wreck who still somehow managed to steal her heart.

   Did I mention that he was a junior who had been held back for four years?

   I felt lips press against mine, madi's to be specific. They tasted worn out, the taste that they once had... was no longer there. The sweet taste, now tasted bitter and plain.

   I held onto the kiss for a little longer to see if something would change, but nothing did. The butterflies that I used to feel in the pit of my stomach were gone, the lump that used to be stuck in my throat when she'd touch or speak to me, suddenly just disappeared.

   And next, my love. My everlasting, yet desperate love... Well, that faded into the darkness along with everything else I let go of.

   Something about us, feels wrong, like I wasn't meant to be here with her.

   Just as any more negative thoughts could continue, I escape from that hell of a daydream and realise the door was opened with Jack standing there, in the door frame.

   Then a pang of fear washes over me, just like It had when I was thirteen, I remember it as if it were yesterday. Now, it's like I'm thirteen all over again. The same risky situation. And it was all for a petty girl.

That was the day I learned to never intervene.

This was hella short. I'm sorry. I MIGHT update again, today. So don't you worry child.