June (34)

June

65° indoors

"June! June! Where is she!" Someone was calling my name. I knew the voice, but in the moment my mind felt slower than it has ever been and couldn't think of who it belonged to. Upon trying to get to my senses I was immediately blinded by a bright light, I cringed reflexively. At the same time my hand tried to cover my eyes so I could take in my surroundings when I realized I was strapped down at my wrists and ankles. Gun shots paired with the shattering of glass panes all around me as I felt a shower of shards cutting freely along my exposed arms and legs. Someone jumped into the room, gripping the rubbery surface I was laying on to steady themselves.

"June! Goddy hell what did they do?" The light I was fighting against was destroyed in a shower of sparks and it took me a split second to focus on the figure that replaced my field of view. His eyes searched mine, an endless sea of blue. I suspected that he was muttering curses under his breath as I felt his calloused hands cup my face and registered warm liquid smear across my cheekbones in an arc that his thumb had made. I felt relief to see that his hands weren't bleeding, knowing that the blood must have been someone else's. There was a cut that ran from the inner corner of his right eyebrow across his nose bridge and into his left cheek. It was bleeding more than it should have been but Day didn't seem to notice. He was busy undoing my bindings.

My gown felt uncomfortably exposing and my hair too much of a view blocker as I took in the room I had been held in as Day carried me a bit before setting me down outside the range of the shattered glass. He had busted in through a window and ushered me out the only exit. On the other side he tossed me a pistol (automatic aiming- not that I needed it) and military issued coms unit. I checked the rounds and fished his pockets for some more ammo.

Gunfire sounded somewhere down the hall so we started running in the opposite direction but heard the footsteps too late. They were just around the corner. Day raised his gun and I put my hand on it, pushing it down. I didn't want to fire and give our position off yet.

"Over here!" I pulled him under a staircase just as the couple dozen guards running down the hall perpendicular to ours turned the corner. They didn't even slow.

I started to peak my head around the stairs, counting the seconds before they would all turn at the end of the hall, to make sure no one caught us moving out of the corner of their eye. My feet were split seconds away from moving when Day caught my arm.

"Your leg's bleeding." With the adrenaline buzzing in my veins I didn't feel anything. Even so, if I was really hurt bad my nerves would have gotten the message after a couple minutes. I just figured he meant the cuts from the glass.

"I'm fine."

"No, look!" I glanced down at my thigh, about to brush it off when I saw the forearm length cut that ran from the top of my hip to my knee. Blood had soaked in a thick line through my gown.

"It's fine, it isn't deep."

"June..."

"Day, we have to-" he tightened his grip on my arm. I glanced behind me, but there was only wall. "Day what are you-" I was cut off by the sudden pressure of his lips on mine, slightly chapped from him breathing out of his mouth while catching his breath. I kissed him back as an immediate reaction, finally finding the will to untangle his hands from my hair after we had spent too much of our precious time on it.

"Day we have to go-"

"I love you" my already racing pulse seemed to skip a beat. It wasn't the time.

"Come on" I grabbed his hand but he just weaved his fingers in-between mine, pulling me back to him as he kissed my forehead. I let him embrace me for a few seconds, breathing in the serenity made precious after the emotional rollercoaster that was ever since he came back into my life. I reluctantly pulled back after he kissed the tip of my nose and knew he was going towards my mouth again. "Day." I breathed, pulling on the arm whose hand wasn't entangled in mine, trying to get him to stop pressing me against him.