Day (6)

Day

I barely slept.

Last night, my walk to our apartment in Ruby -just a few blocks down from June's apartment -were fifteen minutes where thoughts ran around in my head. I felt so many emotions at the same time, it was like my own mind was playing games with me, not at all helping me sort the events of this day out. No matter what I tried to think about, she kept on popping into my mind.

June

**********

I heard the almost silent click of gears turning into place as I locked the door behind me. The apartment was dark, Eden must have gone to bed, it was an exciting day and our bodies needed rest. I gently lay my set of keys on the kitchen counter and stepped out of my shoes. I was just about to walk into my bedroom, which was right next to Eden's, when he suddenly called out.

"Back so soon?" My little brother joked. Jeez! I thought as he took me off guard. I peered my head into his bedroom, leaning against the door frame. Eden sat on his bed, he was propped up against the headboard fiddling with some small metal parts.

"I thought you were asleep." It was the first statement that popped into my head.

"Obviously." He replied, yawning.

"You should get some sleep." I consoled.

"Not before you tell me what happened." Eden argued, though his tone was weary.

"There's not much to talk about." I stated, it was partially true, nothing terribly exciting happened. Only my mixed and sudden feelings towards her.

"Come on, Daniel!" Eden tried to sound frustrated but the fact that his eyes were involuntarily closing didn't help him. I chuckled softly, glad he couldn't see that well in the dark still, though he had about 20-40, 20-50 vision during the day. Something I had to thank Antarctica for.

I smirked at Eden's sudden interest in gossipping. "How did Tess manage to turn you into a girl?" I teased.

"She didn't!" He exclaimed.

"Then you can wait till morning." I concluded. Eden thought about it, his urge to rest taking over.

"Fine." He agreed. "But- you have to tell me tomorrow." Eden made me promise.

"Kay," I answered. Since when did I keep secrets from him anyway? In moments Eden was silent and I could hear his breathing shallow.

I turned back to my room, closing his door and mine. I undressed until I was in a thin T-shirt and boxers. I lay down on my comfortable mattress and waited for the dark peacefullness of sleep to over come my raging thoughts.

But it didn't.

**********

When my mind finally calmed down enough to allow me to rest I was sucked into a void of dreams, I found myself in the middle of a scene from the past.

She was there, standing next to me. We were on a balcony somewhere, looking over a dark city. I immediately recognized it as Los Angeles, before I left. Before it changed. She was saying something to me, my mind was too out of focus to pick up her words, I only registered her tone. It was serious, she looked me directly in the eyes and it seemed like she was debating with herself. She looked like she was about to jump off a cliff, make a decision that was difficult for her. Say something that was demanding but true. I was somehow pushing her and confessing something at the same time, something very important.

But I had no idea what it was.

I hear myself say:

"I've said it to you before, and I still mean it. But I've never heard it from you. I can't tell. And then you give me this ring" I pause to hold my hand up, and in the glint of the moon I see my familiar paper clip ring, rested on my long, slim finger. It looks shiner, new.

I sat bolt upright, ripped right out of my dream- or should I say, my past.

My had flew to the paper clip ring on my hand now, one that I have never taken off since the day I woke up from the coma, ten years ago. a voice in the back of my head had always warned me against taking it off, like it was a part of my past that I simply had to hold on to. My mind was working at the speed of light, taking in the reality of my dream- no, memory. I was sure that was a scene from my past, something that happened during the day had triggered that particular memory. And now, as I ran my fingers over the familiar grooves of the accessory, it hit me.

She was the girl in my dream.

June Iparis gave me the paper clip ring.