June (16)

June

2126 hours, August 7th

Ruby sector, Los Angeles

68°F Indoors

I was watching the multi-colored clouds, they were a display of the most vibrant shades of red, orange and yellow like the sky was lit up by a brilliant fire. The whole west side seemed to be bathed in light, a light that brought this indescribable scene together.

And that's when Day knocked on my door.

**********

"I'm sorry!" He burst out. I took a step back, confused.

"Huh?"

"I'm sorry I'm late." He clarified. I would have known if he was late for meeting up with me, but we hadn't scheduled anything.

"I'm sorry my present is late, I should have given it to you on your birthday."

As the words were spoken, he pulled out a little silver snap-open box. He held it out to me.

Suprised, my body was working on autopilot when I saw one of my hands reach out and take the box from his palm.

I stared at it, shocked. It was silky, smooth and fit perfectly in my palm. Day nodded, encouraging me to go on.

On autopilot again, I slowly opened the box.

And started at what was inside.

"Well?" Day prompted. I finally tore my gaze off the contents long enough to catch the hopeful expression he wore.

"They're.......they're beautiful!" I exclaim, at a loss for words. That seemed to be happening a lot lately.

I sensed that Day's cautious mood instantly brightened.

Inside the simple box were two gorgeous, blood red rubies. They were tear drop shaped and cut with so many edges that they gleamed in the fading sunlight. Adorned with three attractive mini diamonds, a delicately thin shinning silver wire was holding the whole exquisit creation together. It was an intricately crafted piece of art, and if I had doubted that he had really remembered our past, all that doubt would have washed away in that moment.

The earrings were a perfect match for the ruby pendent he had given me, on the day he had said goodbye, so many years ago.

Day cleared his throat politely.

I looked up, tears were starting to form in the back of my eyes, so it took me a second to focus on him. Silently I was willing the tears back, it takes a lot to make me cry and I have been doing too much of it lately.

"I know this is not in a box or anything, but I hoped it would be better without one." He wouldn't meet my eyes until after he finished, pulling something out of his left front pocket.

My trained eyes caught a gleam of silver right before he held the object between us.

A ring made of entwined paper clips. Every bit of a piece of art, smoothed to perfection, just as his previous gifts were.

This time I gasped.

Day took a distinctive step toward me, as if to offer a reassuring presence.

"What is it?" He inquired cautiously. "I'm sorry if it's too early, its just....well the last ring I gave you saved your life and I figured I owed it to you. I know it isn't a good enough gift for you. But, you know, it was a symbol of us."

A tear slipped down my heated cheeks.

"Day, the best gift you could have given me was just to show up that night. And you did. This......this is just.....the most wonderful gift in the world. But I don't deserve it."

My last statement caught him off guard.

"What? Of course you do!" I shook my head, a sad smile played on my lips.

"No, Day. I just feel so.....so guilty. I caused you so much pain, then I left you and after that night....."

"Hey." Day stepped closer to me, closing the gap between us with one graceful step. He took my face gently in his warm hands, holding it up so that my gaze was locked on his.

"Look, it's not all your fault. Besides, I left you too. We both left each other, for the other's good. Let's put the past behind us. Let's call it even."

"Sure, even." I repeated. Even though I knew very well that I would forever be in debt to him.

He smiled. My heart wrenched.

"Then....." He slipped the ring onto my index finger. It was warm from being constantly handled by him, his body heat seeping into the metal. Nevertheless, when I felt it wrapped around my finger, it felt surprisingly familiar, I guess I really missed the feeling of the ring. It just felt right, like a part of me was discovered again. It was a perfect fit.

"Are you willing to.....keep going? Give us another chance?" Day asked, his eyes staring into mine. I could see the light of hope there. Seeking something that he once had. Yearning for it again.

I didn't even consider his question.

"Of course I am."