Day (8)

*********

I never thought my fanfic would have this many reads, in less than two months, considering I'm not much of a writer. I didn't think there were that many Legend fans on here! But thank you for reading my writing, I try my best with the limited time I have. And you can tell me if you don't like something, criticism makes it better.

**********

Day

I was conflicted. Not really the word I was looking for, but as I tried to categorize my feelings my mind was so filled with wild thoughts that I just couldn't concentrate enough. I couldn't really explain my emotions, I felt the humming of energy in my veins, a feeling I have associated with being in close proximity to Commander Iparis. Or, as my mind calls her: June.

The conversation died after Eden left. I had the words on the tip of my tongue, I swear I woke up with exactly the right words to say, and exactly the right way to say them. But now, standing in front of her I drew a blank.

Every time I thought of the question in my head, perfectly phrased, I would turn to her and get lost in those mesmerizing dark eyes. That radiant dark beauty. My eyes would take in her......her....gracefulness in the way she walks, or the confidence in her stride. The way her back was always perfectly straight and her gaze was always fixated on something in the distance, as if everything in front of her was below her and needed no attention. Like she was looking at something I couldn't see, a place I couldn't reach. It didn't seem like it was pleasant.

For some reason unbeknownst to me, I felt like I needed to comfort her. But I was set on meeting her today for a different reason.

In my jumbled thoughts we had already reached her apartment door. She swiped her hand on a scan pad, the clicks coming from the door told me that she had more locks than I could keep track of.

Guess the Republic took better care of their military people now. I figured it would take me a few hours until I could possibly break into her apartment.

She hesitated, I realized that she was letting me enter first, but I stepped aside and gestured for her to go. Why would she be so formal, when we've met each other before?

The thoughts left my mind as soon as I took in our surroundings. Her apartment was definitely bigger than ours, heck even bigger than our suite in Antarctica. One side of her wall leading out to the balcony was pure see-through glass. It looked to be a few inches thick. Bullet proof no doubt. With the technology now, I wouldn't be surprised if it was missile proof too. The Republic was not under the threat of war, like before, but that didn't stop them from preparing for it.

I was pulled from my thoughts when my eyes finally landed on her. She had taken her uniform off, leaving her in a plain white top and pants that cut off at her calfs, showing her slim yet strong figure. She averted her gaze to the manilla couch in the center of the room, gesturing for me to sit.

So I did.

She sat a few feet away from me and waited expectantly. But there was something off about her behavior. I could some how sense that she was.......upset, dreading something. I pushed the thought away, who was I to think I could read the Commander of California after spending just a few hours with her? But it wasn't just a few hours, it was a year. A small voice at the back of my head reminded me. I pushed it down, trying to focus on the task at hand.

"So...." I start, before my mind could come up with more thoughts. "Nice place you have here."

She looked surprised, as if expecting a tiger and getting a kitten. She analyzed me, as I have found she always analyzes everything and narrowed her eyes.

"You can get straight to the point, you said you wanted to ask me something?" She replied, dodging my compliment.

"Well, yes." I say slowly. "You see, I had a dream last night." I looked to her and she gestured for me to continue. "I get the feeling that it was a memory, from the year I lost due to my surgery."

I wasn't sure how to explain it, I had a feeling that she was expecting something bad. But I couldn't think of how my intended question was negative.

"Yes?" She encouraged. Displaying a look of slight curiosity, but behind that gaze was an emotion I couldn't decipher.

"Well, the thing is....you were in it." She gave no reaction to my words. It was as if she expected that. "I couldn't tell what we were saying but......its hard to explain. I guess what I'm saying is....." Goddy hell this was hard. It was as if my mind and mouth decided to desert me. After a moment of indecision, I told her my dream. When I finished I looked to her, her eyes were narrowed in concentration again. I waited her out.

"Da- " She started, but I suddenly blurted;

"Did you give it to me?" Realizing it wasn't a specific question, I looked her in the eyes and repeated, "June, did you give the ring to me?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June

0714 hours, July 12

Ruby sector, Los Angeles

68° F indoors

"June, did you give the ring to me?"

I felt a tidal wave of relief and shock at Day's question. It wasn't what I was expecting, and felt a weight lifted off my chest when I knew that this meant he hadn't recalled me killing his loved ones. Then I immediately felt guilty for it, knowing that he would remember sooner or later and it would just be more hurtful then.

But I couldn't bring myself to tell him yet.

He was expecting an answer, his eyes fixated on my face. He must have thought I didn't want to tell him because he asked a different question.

"Do you......remember that night? Or was it really just a dream?" He seemed to shrink in on himself at the last part, just in case he had gotten his hopes up for nothing.

"No!" I denied on impulse, not willing to see him strained any longer. "It wasn't just a dream, I remember that night very clearly." Thinking about that night, I felt hurt again. Pain at the fact that he forgot. He forgot the night I told him my true feelings for him. The night I told him that I felt the same way. That I loved him.

It was supposed to be the kind of moment that you remember for your entire life, the kind of moment that you recall together while reminiscing years down the line. But the only one who knew about it now was me. A part of my heart was threatening to crack under the pressure of the isolation I was suddenly being suffocated in.

He forgot the night we had together, the night that was ours. I fought down the blush that was threatening to spread as I recalled the events of that evening.

I took a deep breath to calm my racing pulse and started:

"Day, I di-" He cut me off mid-sentence. And I couldn't believe that I was too caught up in my explanation to catch myself.

"Did you just call me Day?"