Day (26)

Day

The door swung open in front of me, an intoxicated couple stepped out into the night. I slipped into the shadows even though there was clearly no need. The woman was draped all over the man, they held on to each other, swaying, trying to keep themselves upright. They muttered nonsense to eachother's ears. I looked away from them and caught the door before it could close.

Stepping inside, the chilly air instantly turned into a hot wall engulfing me. Too many people crowded in one place. Neon strobe lights randomly danced all over the room, twenty feet to the left there were dozens of people 'dancing' on each other. It was all sweat, heels, lipstick and tight dresses that showed a little much. I turned my eyes away.

I wanted to slow my heart rate down, not speed it up.

Turning right, I took a seat at the crystallized counter. On the surface in front of me, I pressed my thumb onto the outlined square electrically drawn by the machine in the counter. After scanning my fingerprint to make sure I was of age, the machine asked me what I wanted. I answered my favorite brand.

Half an hour and seven shots later my throat was burning as if acid had coated the inside of my esophagus. Which it had. My heart rate picked up as I slammed the latest glass down while swallowing the contents in one breath. The firery liquid made its way down my throat again, my senses tracked it until it hit my stomach, mixing with the rest. My blood was buzzing with energy, my vision seemed to sharpen and vibrant colors stood out more aggressively than the rest of the dark atmosphere. Dark as June's hair, and the golden printed patterns on the black wallpaper looked so similar to her beautiful ominous-gold specked eyes- STOP. I shook my head, agitated. I came here to forget about her- even if it is just for a while. I love her. But this, this was becoming an obsession. She controlled so many parts of me. And before, maybe before I let her. But now...I should know what people do with power. They abuse it. Power corrupts. Was June beginning to corrupt? Letting Anden play her like this. Letting him take her over when she said she was mine. When we are so deep in love. Or so I thought.

Does she still love me?

Of course she does. The pain in her eyes, her steps. She does and will always be tourturing herself for thinking that she has taken my family away from me. And I might always say it wasn't her fault, but there is always the slightest shread of doubt. Because as much as I love her and as much as I don't want her to hurt because of me, I can never deny the fact that if I had never met her, my family might still be alive. Maybe not, but at least I could have prepared myself. At least I could see them buried properly, close my mom and John's souless blue eyes. Hold them until their bodies were cold as stone, and give some thought into my last words dedicated to them. And if she hadn't come into my life like this, my heart would be whole. Not glass webbed with cracks and glue, trying desperately to heal itself before the next blow. Maybe then Eden wouldn't have gone through so much trauma at such a young age, maybe then I wouldn't have so much blood on my hands. Maybe then-

"Excuse me, but I was wondering.... are you Day?"

A voice severed my raging thoughts, I snapped my head up a little too quickly, startling the girl. All I could make out was her scarlet dress and lots of tan skin. A flash of white surrounded by crimson as she gave me a knowing smile.

"Are you okay?" The question was completely rhetorical. My answer wouldn't matter to this person.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I reply, breaking eye contact.

"Well then, wanna dance?" What I actually wanted to do was slap this girl. Couldn't she tell when someone wasn't in the mood? June would never- there she was again. Always popping up in my thoughts. Maybe I did need to think about someone else for a change.

The prospect of taking this girl up on her offer was looking better by the second. After all, she was beautiful, now taking a second look. Chocolate brown curls framing an elagant face. Her eyes were a sparkling emrald, one not seen often.

"Sure."

Instinctively I touched my ring, once again having the feeling that this was the wrong choice. The girl's eyes landed on the ring for just a second, questioning my action. I gave her the best smile I could muster, slipped the reminder off and left it on the counter behind me.

I took her hand and pulled her into the crowd, never noticing the cold grey eyes locked on me.