June (1)

***********

I am a thorough fan of Marie Lu's "Legend" trilogy. It is so far my FAVORITE TRILOGY! Everything I type is purely based on Marie Lu's "Legend" adventures. If it hasn't been clear enough, READ LEGEND and all rights go to Marie Lu. The story starts off where Champion left off.

***********

June

0307 Hours, July 12

Ruby sector, Los Angeles

71°F indoors

I'm lying on my bed in my apartment, in Ruby. Fatigue still clouds my mind as I cling to wisps of my dream, it was so good, seemed so real. I didn't want to wake up. I dreamed that finally, after ten long years I had crossed paths with him once again. The haze slowly cleared and I remembered that my 'dream' was actually a memory. That 8 hours and 55 minutes ago, it was still my 27th birthday. And thanks to Tess, I found him again. I found my light: Day.

1852 Hours, July 11

Batalla Sector, Los Angeles

78°F

"Hi," he says. "I'm Daniel."

"Hi," I reply. "I'm June." I watched him intently as the words leave my mouth, seeking his reaction. A flicker of recognition crossed his face.

"June." Day repeated, saying my name like it was a gem. My heart sped up as his voice reached me, a melodic sound. His voice was deeper and smoother than I remember, it was like music to my ears. Though he didn't say my name with the love I was used to hearing, there was still a sort of thoughtful undertone. "June......Ip....Iparis?" Day looked to me for confirmation. I saw a spark of hope in his eyes and couldn't stop myself from granting him a small smile. He smiled back and I felt my spirits lift instantly. "You are one of the Princeps-Elects."

"Was," I corrected him. "That was many years ago."

"Sorry, I guess I've been gone for too long." He smiled apologetically. Yes, I thought, yes you have. "But, before that- you were the Republic's prodigy, weren't you? Went to Drake at twelve." He smirked at me, confidence in his smile.

"Yeah......." I remembered all the trouble I used to get into, and how Metias-. I shut that door. Even though it had been 3430 days and 14 hours since my brother's passing, the nonexistent age difference between us had already made my usual depression to the topic of him freshly raw.

"Hey, do you guys want me to go ahead?" Eden called to us.

"It's up to you." Day informs me. I look to Eden and he locks eyes with me. I was torn. A part of me was somehow alive again, seeing Day here. Really here, by my side. I longed to have him in my life again. I longed to uncover the teenage Day and get to know the young man named Daniel. Yet, another part of me had built a wall over the years of his absence in my life. Protecting me from feelings, from pain. That part of me was trying to convince me that I could walk away now, before it's too late. Before he remembers me. I could turn and leave and just be another girl he ran into out on the streets. I was afraid. Afraid of the pain that could come out of this. Afraid that if- when- he remembers me, he would leave me again. I don't think I could take it if he did.

Eden seems to read my thoughts and makes the decision for me.

"I'll see you guys at Tess's." He calls over his shoulder as he walks away. I watch Day as he stares at the shape of his brother until Eden is gone from sight. Day seemed different, no less protective but more mature, allowing his brother more freedom. Besides, Eden was no longer twelve and vulnerable.

Day ran a hand through his hair, making the blond locks even more tousled.

"That's a bad habit," I criticized. The words came out before I had time to think them through. It was the only thing I've said to him this evening that wasn't calculated. Day would have probably said something cocky, but the man in front of me was no longer a teenager. Daniel just shrugged.

"I know," he tells me. "I guess some how I'm still not used to having my hair this short. It's like my fingers feel they should go through more hair, but I cut it."

"Why?" I asked, even though I already knew. I found myself picturing him as he was when he was seventeen, with a curtain of white blond hair, framing his face. His golden locks ending in a line just below his shoulders. It was different, seeing him with strands only long enough to fall into his eyes. It wasn't better or worse, just different. Nothing could make Day look bad. Considering the first time I saw him, he still lived in the slums and even then- he was the most beautiful boy I had ever seen.

At the same time I studied him, he was taking in details of me too. Slowly he reached out, as if not to frighten me, and gently tucked a strand of hair- that must have made its way loose from my high ponytail- behind my ear. I found my self disappointed and relieved at the same time, when he never came in contact with my skin.

"Well..." He started, and it took me a moment to realize that he was answering my question. "When I joined Antarctica's Intelligence Agency, they said they wouldn't have a solider with hair my length. I asked them why and they said 'How can you shoot straight with hair flapping around your face?' I offered to put it up, but they wouldn't take it. Seems like being so famous in the Republic didn't even save me from cutting my hair huh?" He smiled at his own joke, such a care free smile. I hadn't seen him smile like that since I killed his family. It pained me to think of how he probably would never smile like that again, when he regained his memories of me.

"We should go." Day tells me. "It's getting late." And it was, we only had a minute and twenty-three seconds to catch the next subway to Ruby.

We took off, not saying a word until we were on the Subway. But it was like we were both filling up the silence with things we wanted to tell each other, but did not dare to voice out loud. At least, not yet.