Chapter 3

The last day of the week had finally arrived and Ashley was missing. (Y/N) had been looking forward to seeing her that morning in homeroom, but she didn't show up. He felt disappointed, more disappointed than he knew he should have been. He wanted to tease her lightly by asking her if she had enjoyed the sandwich yesterday, he would have loved to have seen the look on her face. She was so pretty and he wanted to see her smile, or at the very least show any emotion other than the bored, blank expression she usually held, or anger when irritated. Thinking about it, if the opportunity had arose he doubted he would have had the guts to tease her. Nevertheless, he would have liked to at least ask her how she was doing, even if he did only expect a curt reply or even just a glare.

"You okay, (Y/N)?" Daniel asked as they walked to science class together. It was already third period and no sign of Ashley. He doubted she was going to be coming into school today.

"Huh, oh yeah, I'm fine." (Y/N) sounded unconvincing. His mind was elsewhere and he hadn't put much effort into pretending to sound like he was actually okay.

"Are you thinking about that new girl?" Daniel teased.

(Y/N) suddenly blushed, what the hell. "No...why would you think that?" Daniel was right though. It was all because of Ashley, or rather the lack of Ashley. Daniel had been (Y/N)'s best friend since he was five years old, he knew (Y/N) pretty well, even if he wasn't the observant one of the two.

"Because she hasn't showed up today."

"R-really? I hadn't noticed..." (Y/N) lied through his teeth.

"Don't bullshit me, (Y/N). To be honest, I think the girl is bad news and you're better off not even bothering with her. She looks like she's capable of beating the shit out of all of us, even though she's so short. Why don't you just try going for one of the cute girls?"

(Y/N) frowned, he felt offended by Daniel's words. He knew that Daniel was just trying to help, but he was accomplishing the exact opposite of that. Just yesterday he was encouraging him to go and talk to her and now this? And was he implying that Ashley wasn't cute? "You don't even know her" (Y/N) rebutted, he rarely got angry, especially with Daniel, but this was an exception.

Daniel scoffed, "Neither do you."

(Y/N) turned to Daniel who looked smug, (Y/N)'s eyes were wide in defeat. He wanted to dispute Daniel and tell him he was wrong but he couldn't because what he said was true: he didn't know Ashley.

"Why the sudden change in attitude? Yesterday you told me to go and talk to her at lunch!"

"I've heard things about her since then."

"What things?" (Y/N) mimicked Daniel's tone, becoming increasingly sceptical but at the same time curious.

"Well Monika mentioned that Ashley didn't bother showing up to gym class all week, meaning she's a slacker. Also, this morning in math I heard Travis and the others talking about her."

"....And what did they say?" (Y/N) had learnt a long time ago to pay little attention to what people in his school said. People could be jerks. However, he wondered what they had said about Ashley.

"Well, just that apparently she kicked a guy where it hurts."

"W-what? But why?" (Y/N) was surprised. Though, he quickly reached the conclusion that she must have been provoked by That person. Ashley did come across as defensive but she didn't seem the type to just attack someone out of nowhere, mostly because she liked to distance herself from others, or so it seemed. It was highly likely that she was provoked.

"I don't know the details exactly, I just heard that he was teasing and maybe flirting with her? Either way, she's a bad influence and not someone you would wanna mess with."