Chapter 18

"Merry Christmas, Ashley ." (Y/N) exclaimed upon turning around and seeing Ashley at the foot of the stairs.

"What are you wearing?" she asked, eyeing up the most hideous sweater she had seen in her life. A mixture of bright reds and greens and right in the centre was a snowman. It was something only (Y/N) would be caught dead in. Oddly enough, she found it somewhat cute on him. It was a sight she would treasure; after the holiday season was over she was certain things wouldn't be the same. Ashley knew she had to make the most of him. Not that she wanted to think about that now. It was Christmas day, after all.

(Y/N)'s expression dampened as he looked down at the jumper and back up again at Ashley ,but then his lips twitched up into an unexpected smirk, "Well, at least I'm not still in my pajamas, like you."

Ashley flushed red. She was always late out of bed. She hadn't even bothered to comb her hair either, but it wasn't like he wasn't used to seeing like this by now. "Whatever..." Ashley approached (Y/N) who beckoned her to sit on the floor by the tree. The girl sat down and crossed her legs, "Merry Christmas to you too." she finally said.  The redhead then looked around, "Where's your grandpa?"

"He's in the kitchen, making something to take around to Daniel's later."

"Daniel's ...? What. Why?" Ashley didn't like the sound of this.

"Yeah, my Grandpa and I usually spend Christmas with his family...Um, I hope you don't mind." (Y/N) knew that Ashley probably didn't want to go to Daniel's place, but it had been this way for years. After his parents died, (Y/N) had no other family other than his grandpa and Daniel's parents had always been a close family friends.

Ashley quickly shook her head, "I don't mind." Of course Ashley minded, but she wouldn't ruin Christmas for (Y/N). Besides, the redhead thought, it seems like he's decided not to hassle me anymore. At least this way he's more tolerable.

Daniel had visited (Y/N)'s house during the week after finding out that Ashley was temporarily staying there with him. He had apologized and been very awkward around her, obviously feeling guilty for his behavior towards her before knowing the circumstances. Daniel and Monika had both been informed of what had happened, of course with Ashley's permission, and although she wasn't in the slightest comfortable with two people who may as well be strangers knowing her father was an abusive alcoholic who had attempted to kill her, she figured it was the least she could do for (Y/N). It wouldn't be fair to him if he wasn't allowed to tell his two best friends something that directly affected him and was important. At least she hadn't had to go to school for the last week before Christmas break, so she didn't have to endure facing everyone. Annie wasn't even sure whether or not she'd ever have to face them again. Was she even going to be going back to that school? Social services would let her know her fate soon enough. She only prayed that (Y/N) had a part in her future.

"If you don't want to go, then we can always stay here." (Y/N) smiled warmly and placed a hand over hers.

"No. We'll go to Daniel's house like you always do."

"Alright, then. It will be fun, I promise you." . Ashley couldn't help but give (Y/N) a smile, he had never broken a promise yet, and so she trusted his word.

"I always remember this one Christmas," Ashley began and (Y/N) looked at her intensely, curious to what tale she was about to tell. It was rare Ashley spoke openly about herself, even though she had tried to do it more often lately. Her eyes turned distant for a moment as if she was looking into the past, the smile was still present on her face, however it seemed to turn more bitter sweet. "My mom had tried so hard to give us a proper Christmas, you know with a nice meal and all. My dad was never fussed about it, and being a young kid I didn't care as long as I got a few presents. Anyway, everything went wrong and the turkey ended up blowing up our oven. I couldn't stop laughing, even though my mom had cried. She did join in laughing with me about it afterwards, though. In the end we ended up eating pizza."