Chapter 6

It went without saying that Daniel received the cold shoulder all the way home on Saturday. (Y/N)'s cold behaviour continued into the following week and wasn't about to stop anytime soon. Ashley was clearly dealing with problems on a scale that he couldn't even imagine, and Daniel had probably made her feel ten times worse. (Y/N) simply couldn't bring himself to speak to his best friend.

He sat with his head in a book on Monday morning during homeroom. He was trying to block out everything and everyone. He wanted to do something for Ashley, but he was so useless and helpless; he had considered talking to his grandpa about it but he doubted he would be of any help with this type of thing. He didn't even know what was going on exactly, but he knew that he had to find out. He had to fix this.

Running late, Ashley quickly made her way to homeroom. She knew she was in deep shit. She'd missed a week's worth of school and was for sure far behind in everything. The reason she had missed school in the first place was primarily due to her black eye, she didn't want everyone staring at her. She knew it would have drawn unnecessary attention towards her and she couldn't stand to have people poking and prodding at her for information. Thankfully, it had stopped looking so obnoxious and she just had to remember to hide it behind her bangs and not make the mistake of putting them behind her ear again. That wasn't the only reason she had decided stay at home, though. She had been exhausted from working all weekend and then going to school all week. Even though she was strong there was only so much she could take.

"Ashley Graham, can I have a quick word" she turned around to see her homeroom teacher Mr Hannes walking briskly towards her. It looked like he was running late too, as usual. She stopped and waited for whatever he had to say. It most likely wasn't good news, probably about her attendance. Once he had caught up to her, he looked down with a serious expression, "The principal wants to see you about your attendance and grades. We're all a bit concerned about you..."

I knew it. Ashley wasn't stupid. She could easily come out with top grades in everything. However, she lacked the motivation for anything. That included her homework that she failed to do most nights, or even turning up to class for the past week.

"Okay." she was as blunt as ever and walked off quickly, Hannes was once again taken back by her attitude. Ashley just didn't care what else he had to say to her. It probably would have been pointless and useless questions that she didn't feel like answering, especially not that early on a Monday morning. Even if she had managed to escape from Hannes, she knew that the principal was about to interrogate her. When she got to his office she knocked once and opened the door, wanting to get it over and done with as soon as possible.

The principal looked up from his desk as he heard the door open, "Ah, Miss Graham please take a seat." The redhead slumped into the seat opposite of him, not saying a word. "Now, it has come to my attention that your attendance record is poor. I know you have only been here a month but missing a week of school without providing a doctor's note is unacceptable. Not only that, I've been informed that you have not attended gym class once, and teachers from several of your classes have stated that you fail to produce homework when asked."

Ashley didn't say anything. She folded her arms across her chest and turned her body ever so slightly to the side in her seat so that she wasn't directly facing the Principal . This was all a part of her defence mechanism kicking in, not that she even realised it. "Do you have any explanation for this, Miss Graham?" Ashley looked down and shook her head once. She wanted to get out of there, and fast. How long is he going to keep me in here for? She wondered. "Well in that case, we'll have to contact your father. Now, I know your mother passed away recently—"

Ashley suddenly looked up and shot a glare at the principal, why the fuck did he have to bring that up. "No. There is no need for that...I'll get a tutor" Ashley was desperate, and she knew just the person who could help her out of the predicament.