Chapter 2

It was almost the end of the week and it turned out that Ashley was in all of (Y/N)'s classes, just my luck, (Y/N) had thought at first. Ashley obviously didn't like him at all, but (Y/N) wasn't the only exception. The new girl didn't seem to like anyone. In all of their classes she had completely isolated herself. She gave off an extremely defensive vibe and because of this, barely anyone even tried to approach her. Somewhere inside, a part of (Y/N) was sort of glad that she was in all of his classes. He didn't really understand why he was glad but he thought he might as well go along with it rather than question it. Perhaps it was because he got the feeling that she was hiding behind a face and he wanted to know more about the real her. Whatever it was, he couldn't seem to get her off of his mind.

"The new girl is sort of weird, isn't she?" Daniel said while blatantly staring in her direction. Ashley sat alone on a table next to the window. Her eyes were fixated with the world outside, completely ignoring everyone. It didn't look like she had any food with her, except for a can of coke.

"Danny, don't stare."Monika prodded, Daniel turned back to the table and took a large bite out of his sandwich.

"She is a bit strange...I guess, but I think she's just feeling a bit lonely?" (Y/N) defended her. He didn't like it when people were quick to judge others. He had encountered a fair share of bullies in his time so he knew how it felt.

"Lonely? Then why hasn't she made an effort to make friends?" Daniel shared the majority of (Y/N)'s classes and therefore had witnessed Ashley's antisocial behaviour over the past week.

"Maybe she's shy." (Y/N) looked down to his food. He didn't really get the impression that shyness was Ashley's problem but then again, he hadn't had the opportunity to speak with her since her first day just after homeroom. He wanted to ask her again if she needed any help getting around, as Hannes had instructed him to do so, but he didn't get any welcoming vibes from her and thought it was best to just leave her alone. He had glanced at her a couple of times and smiled at her, but he got nothing in return.

"I think she's on a diet. I haven't once seen her eat anything since she started here." Monika observed.

(Y/N) noticed that she didn't have any food with her once again, and felt concerned, "That's silly, she doesn't need to be on one."

"Well you know what chicks are like." Daniel signalled to Monika.

"Danny, since when have I been on a diet?" she looked vaguely annoyed by the comment.

"You always eat so healthily!"

"That's not the same as being on a diet." Monika turned her face away from Daniel and sipped her drink elegantly.

"Whatever. Hey, (Y/N) why don't you go over there and talk to the new girl?"

"M-me? But why?" (Y/N) questioned, suddenly becoming nervous at the thought of approaching Ashley.

"I don't know, you seem to care about her" Daniel began munching on a chocolate bar, acting as if it wasn't really a big deal.

(Y/N) sat and thought about it, maybe he should go over there. He could offer her some of his food if she wanted it, it's not like she needed to be on a diet and he wasn't exactly all that hungry.

"Ok, I'll...I'll do it." (Y/N) stood up from his seat.

Daniel watched him with his mouth hanging open, "Good luck" he said in encouragement. He didn't really expect (Y/N) to do it, even Monika seemed surprised, but didn't attempt to stop him. If it had been Daniel , she probably would have protested against the idea.

(Y/N) grabbed one half of his sandwich to give to the girl and slowly began to walk towards Ashley's direction. He felt his legs becoming increasingly weak as he got closer. She hadn't seen him, because she was staring out of the window. When he finally reached her, he placed a gentle hand on top of her shoulder to get her attention.

Ashley visibly flinched and turned around sharply to face him, for the briefest of moments her eyes expressed fear. It was only for a split second though, because her expression quickly turned into an intimidating glare, "What?" she spat out.

"I—" (Y/N) was rendered speechless. Ashley's eyes were piercing right through him. After a few moments he managed to compose himself, "I-I don't think you need to be on a d-diet...you're perfect how you are..." (Y/N) suddenly blushed crimson at what he had just said, "I mean...here" he then handed her his sandwich, "You c-can have it if you want..."

Ashley's glare softened just slightly but did not completely disappear as she looked down to what was in (Y/N)'s hands. She looked back up at him suspiciously, "I don't understand."

"W-well, my friends and I noticed that you haven't got any food with you..." (Y/N) felt awkward, it seemed like he was a stalker now.

"Is that any of your business?" he could tell that Ashley was angry at him for invading her space.

"N-no." (Y/N) admitted. It wasn't any of his business. She was right to question him.

"Then get out of my sight." Ashley turned away and took a sip out of the can of coke she had.

If she was going to be true to herself, she had to admit that she was really hungry, heck she hadn't eaten all day. However, she wasn't about to take a sandwich from a stranger. He wasn't a complete stranger though, she recognised the kid from her homeroom and all of her classes, (First and Last). He seemed like a sweet type of boy, a sucker, Ashley thought. No, she wouldn't accept his food, why was he even offering it to her anyway? Hadn't she made it clear enough that she didn't want anything to do with anyone at this school? Obviously not because he was still standing there, "What do you want?" she raised her voice and turned to him, this time she was glaring at the (H/C) even more fiercely.

(Y/N) frowned, he decided against saying anything back to her, instead he just left the sandwich on the table. He walked back to Daniel and Monika who had watched the scene unfold. (Y/N) had to admit he felt weak after that encounter.

"What happened?" Daniel asked, unsure of exactly what went down.

"Oh, she seemed mad...but I left the sandwich there for her if she wanted it. I think she wants to be alone." (Y/N) explained.

"Ugh, some chicks." Daniel said and stood up, Monika soon followed.

(Y/N) followed his friends out of the cafeteria, but just before leaving he paused at the door to look back at Ashley. He saw that she was biting into the sandwich he had left for her. He felt strangely satisfied seeing her eating it and couldn't help smile to himself. It looked like she wasn't as tough as she first let on after all.