Chapter 13

Ashley  was woken by rays of sunlight shining through her window, their warmth melted the ice and water trickled down the pane. Her cheeks were not damp from cried tears, which was odd considering that nearly most days she would wake in that condition after having been crying in her sleep. The tears were usually triggered by a bad dream about her mother or father. She never understood it, because she rarely cried when she was conscious, without good reason of course. As she sat up and rubbed at her eyes she felt peaceful, that feeling was completely alien to her. The feeling was nice while it lasted but unfortunately it was short-lived. The blonde soon started to panic: it was Sunday and she had to work. She had been blessed the previous night after returning home to find out that her father had already passed out; it meant that she was able to have a nice long bath and then go straight to bed without any trouble. What time was it now though? She couldn't afford to be late, considering she didn't even show up yesterday.

Judging by the strong rays of sunlight that had managed to melt the ice, it was already well into the afternoon. She was supposed to be there in the morning. Ashley  pulled back her blanket and stepped out of bed, her father had smashed her alarm clock a few weeks back in a drunken rage of his, so all she had to rely on was a cheap old watch that she needed to find ASAP.

"No..." she muttered upon finding the watch, she ran a hand through her messy blonde hair, and suddenly felt sick with dread. It was already well past noon. How did this happen!?

"You're fired." her manager said in a blasé manner, the snobby woman did not so much as look at her.

"What?" Ashley couldn't believe what she was hearing. She had literally just run all the way to McDonalds, only to be told she was fired. She couldn't be fired, she needed this job.

"Look, you heard me. You didn't bother turning up yesterday and you are extremely late today. This is also not the first time you've been late, is it Miss Graham?"

"It won't happen again, ma'am." Ashley  felt herself start to shake.

Her manager turned to her, "Yes, you're quite right," she scoffed, "It won't because you're fired. I would give you another chance but I've already had several complaints about you being rude to customers. There are simply no more allowances I can make for you."

The redhead  knew there was no reasoning with the woman. She had been a bitch right from the start and Ashley  saw red. She ripped off her apron and threw it at her manager which caused the older woman to gasp; the hat was next to come off and Ashley stomped on it. She could vaguely hear her manager shout after her as she made a run for it out of the restaurant, it was something about her behavior being unacceptable and that she was banned. It was true that she had been rude to a few customers, but they had deserved it. They were being rude to her in the first place and she simply could not hold back her temper. She really needed to work on her patience.

Ashley  ran down the street with tears streaming down her face, not caring at the looks she was receiving from passers-by, she was just so angry and upset. She wasn't exactly even sure where her legs were taking her, however, she was certain that she wasn't going home. The wind was bitterly cold against her cheeks that were wet from freshly spilt tears, the temperature was enough to freeze them and create small ice crystals on her eyelashes. She wanted to find warmth, and so she just kept running. Eventually she came to a stop outside a familiar house. What had brought her here? She wondered. Ashley wiped away any evidence that she had been crying. She slowly walked up to the door and reality suddenly hit her in the face. She felt like turning back, because lord only knew what had brought her to (Y/N)'s house.

Am I forgetting what happened yesterday? Of course Ashley hadn't forgotten. The boy had been on her mind pretty much non-stop since then.

Ashley  brought a hesitant hand to the door and knocked once, half hoping no one would answer. It didn't take long for the door to open.