Chapter 8

After the pair decided to call it a day with the tutoring, (Y/N) asked Ashley to stay for dinner. She strongly protested against the idea at first. It took a lot of persuading from (Y/N), but eventually she gave in. He was pretty good at manipulating her mind-set, but it wasn't only (Y/N)'s pleading that made her stay. She figured that she could do with a proper meal. After all, she had been surviving off of canned soup and ready-meals for a long time.

When (Y/N)'s grandfather had arrived, he greeted her pleasantly and as they sat together at dinner, she couldn't help but think what nice people both (Y/N) and his grandfather were. Despite saying little to nothing at the table, Ashley didn't feel the slightest bit judged for it. After finishing dinner Ashley announced that she had to leave, (Y/N) of course was quick to offer to walk home with her.

"No. Don't worry about it." she wondered why he was asking, it wasn't even dark yet. Ashley collected up her books and placed them into her shoulder bag. She walked out into the hallway and put on her shoes, (Y/N) followed her.

"It's no problem at all, really." he smiled while putting on his shoes, the (H/C) then grabbed his jacket.

"You're not going to take no for an answer, are you?" Ashley sighed and rolled her eyes at his persistence. First dinner, now he wants to walk me home...what next...

(Y/N) was slightly embarrassed by her comment but laughed softly, "Nope."

"Well, alright." Ashley gave in once more and headed out of the door. (Y/N) smiled and followed behind.

After walking side-by-side down the street in silence for about five minutes, (Y/N) turned to the red head, "Where exactly do you live, Ashley?"

"Around twenty-five to thirty minutes from here. I told you, you didn't have to walk home with me."

"And I told you that it's no problem." he reassured her.

"Why are you always so nice to me?" Ashley suddenly asked, "It's not like I've ever returned that kindness, in fact I've been the opposite."

(Y/N) studied her facial expression, he couldn't quite make out what she was feeling but he noticed that she had furrowed her brows, obviously thinking deeply about something. "Well it's just that, despite what others and you may think, I actually think that you are quite nice."

(Y/N) was telling the truth, he really did believe that Ashley was a nice person. He knew that she was hiding behind a wall that she had built up, for reasons that he would get to the bottom of eventually. Over the past month he had managed to get her to open up, even if it was just a bit. She had even approached him for his help. (Y/N) was sure that she wasn't as bad as she pretended to be, it was just a barrier she had put up to protect herself from the world. He was smart, and he really trusted his gut feeling and judge of character, especially concerning Ashley .

"Huh?" Ashley was confused, why did (Y/N) think she was nice? Maybe he is one of those types who want to see the good in everyone. Yeah, that must be it.

"I think you're just scared of people. And that's okay, because there are a lot of horrible people out there to be wary of. You act tough in an attempt to ward off others to avoid being hurt. But in reality, you really do care and you want to make friends, just like any other human-being." (Y/N) hoped he wasn't pushing it by saying this to Ashley's face. He expected her to get mad, tell him to shut-up and throw it in his face that he didn't know her, but instead she remained silent.

How...did he come to that conclusion? I was right before in thinking he was dangerous. He's smart and unbelievably so. I don't even know what to think, but he's right. I don't want to be completely alone, I'm human after all...Am I being delirious in thinking that I would like to be a good person to him?