Chapter 10

Ashley  absent-mindedly watched the other girls playing outside. A lot was on her mind, and she was freezing her butt off which automatically put her in a bad mood. The boys had been lucky to stay indoors for gym class, and she envied them. She sat out, after complaining of having a bad leg, not that it was true. All Ashley was doing was reflecting on how shit her life was, shivering while she was at it. She felt emotionally exhausted but even so, she did not want anyone's pity. She just couldn't wait until the day was over and she would have her study session with (Y/N). Thinking about it, she had initially not wanted to spend anymore time than necessary with (Y/N). One more study session with(Y/N)  was all she needed to get back on track. She felt like she had caught up enough in her studies to prevent the principal from bothering her about it any longer. After today, that will be it.

The redhead  should have been happy about it, but she wasn't. The week had passed by too quickly for her liking. If she wasn't going to be going back to (Y/N)'s house after school anymore, she would feel somewhat empty. Ashley  was disappointed in herself. She had allowed an intruder into her life. What was worse, she knew she had started to rely on him in some way. I can't believe I've let this happen. What's even more unbelievable is that I've actually ended up developing feelings for him. Ashley didn't see the point in lying to herself anymore. She figured she may as well come to terms with the fact that she liked (Y/N) a lot more than she had originally planned.

This did not sit well with her. She had promised herself a long time ago that she would not rely on anyone other than herself, she didn't want to become close to others. People were not to be trusted in this shitty world. She had learnt that the hard way after her mother became ill. When her mother had been diagnosed with a terminal illness, Ashley had gone into shock. She was never the chatty, sociable type of girl in the first place, but, she had been more willing to make friends before all of that happened. Her father had been a good dad up until this point, she remembered how he would encourage her when she practised Judo, saying stuff like, "That's my girl!".

That was in the distant past though, because when he learnt of his wife's illness he became depressed. He couldn't handle the situation and turned to alcohol. He backed out and left Ashley  to cope on her own. She was only fourteen at the time and her world had literally shattered into a million tiny pieces. She missed a lot of school due to looking after her mother, and when she finally passed away, Ashley  was numb for months. I think I still am, for the most part. Her father threw out everything that had belonged to his wife. He began to beat her, for reasons she didn't exactly understand. On several occasions he complained that she resembled her mother too much for him to bear. How was that her fault, though? Why should she be beaten for looking like her mother? It wasn't fair and Ashley couldn't comprehend it. Her father wanted to escape the town completely after a couple of months, stating how there were too many memories there for him to handle. Moving didn't help the situation though.

(Y/N) was sure that he would rather be outside in the cold than inside playing dodgeball. Dodgeball was the absolute worst activity in the history of gym class. One time, he had even received a busted lip thanks to some idiot throwing the ball at his face. In his opinion, the sport was only fun for those who were strong and good at sports in general, it was an opportunity to humiliate the weak, like him.

The gym teacher, Keith was always picking on him, too. He always made an effort to point out how he could be doing better, even when he was at his limit. I just really hate this class. I can't wait for the day to be over so I can spend time with Ashley . (Y/N) had found himself thinking about the small redhead   very often. It was as if she was always on his mind. He hadn't really had a proper crush before until she came along. Sure, he found some of the girls in school to be pretty, but in his opinion they had nothing on Ashley .