Chapter 5

The following week passed by fairly quickly. (Y/N) continued to sit with Ashley at lunch and despite there being very little conversation between them, (Y/N) was happy that she did not once try and stop him from sitting with her. That in itself was progress. Something was nagging at the back of his mind though, he found it extremely odd that she never brought food with her. He knew she was telling the truth about not being on a diet because she would eat the sandwich he gave her every day. Something was definitely not right with Ashley but he didn't want to interrogate her, he was afraid that if he tried to pry into her life too much she'd end up blocking him off completely.

It was on Thursday when Ashley asked "Why do you do this for me?", the question caught him slightly off guard and (Y/N) just explained that he liked to help out his friends. He didn't want to see Ashley go without. However, it was obvious that she wasn't comfortable with him giving her the sandwich. Most likely because she was so independent, or at least that's the impression she wanted to give off. On Friday, she actually bought tomato soup at the cafeteria. Soup was the cheapest option and it wasn't very tasty at all, (Y/N) knew what the cafeteria's food was like first hand and that's why he always brought his own food with him. (Y/N) assured Ashley that giving her a sandwich wasn't a problem, but she shook her head and stated that she didn't want to rely on anyone. "Thank you, though" she added and (Y/N) smiled at her, hoping that his smile hid his concern.

He also wondered if she had been still skipping out on gym, he wouldn't know because he didn't skip again. He didn't get the chance to ask her though, because the next week she didn't turn up to school at all. Naturally, (Y/N) began to freak out. Why wasn't she in school? Was she even going to come back? Had something terrible happened to her? Those type of thoughts plagued his mind all week. He had no idea where she lived so it was impossible for him to go and see if she was okay. He didn't even have her cell phone number.

It didn't help that Daniel wasn't that supportive either, "She probably got sent to juvie." he joked as they sat in the cafeteria on Friday afternoon.

"No way, don't be ridiculous." (Y/N) raised his eyebrows at the absurdity of Daniel's comment, taking him seriously.

"Maybe she is unwell." Monika offered her opinion. Monika was probably right, Ashley was most likely just unwell and she'd be coming back.

Nothing serious...

"Well anyway, wanna hang out this weekend?" Daniel asked. He thought it was best to turn the subject away from Ashley.

"Going out will help to get your mind off of her." Monika added.

(Y/N) smiled half-heartedly and nodded, "Sure, I'll go".

The trio spent Saturday afternoon hanging out at the mall, it wasn't all that exciting but (Y/N) admitted that it was better than staying at home and dwelling on things. As the day came to a close, they all decided to go to McDonalds to get something to eat.

"I'm going to order three big macs!" Daniel exclaimed as they entered the fast food restaurant, Monika sighed and (Y/N) just chuckled lightly.

When (Y/N) saw the person behind the counter he froze and his mouth fell open, "A-Ashley!?" he couldn't quite believe his eyes.

"(Y/N)..." Ashley stood on the other side of the counter, looking as shocked as him, if so more. God no, why does this shit happen to me? She felt like crawling under the counter right there and then.

"W-what are you doing here?" (Y/N) mentally face-palmed at the stupidity of his question.

"I work here." Ashley replied bluntly. She noticed that Daniel, the loud boy who was in some of her classes, and that emotionless girl who followed him everywhere were standing behind (Y/N). If this job wasn't bad enough it just got about one thousand times worse. This is hell.

Daniel butted in front of (Y/N), "Hey, it's you! (Y/N)'s been worried about you!" (Y/N) wished that Daniel hadn't opened his big mouth, he immediately felt his face flush red.

"W-why weren't you in school this week?" (Y/N) asked ignoring Daniel , he noticed that Ashley's hair was completely obscuring one of her eyes. He watched as she raised a hand to the piece of hair and placed it behind her ear. At that moment, Ashley revealed an ugly black eye. She must have forgotten about it for a brief second but was soon reminded when she saw (Y/N)'s horrified reaction. He gasped loudly, "Ashley...y-your eye..."

Ashley looked down, avoiding eye-contact with the (H/C), "Look, do you want to order something or not?"

(Y/N)'s heart was racing, he was scared. What had happened to Ashley? Something was wrong and he wanted to get to the bottom of it but she was shutting him out again. "Ashley, talk to me!" (Y/N) pleaded. His eyes looked like a puppy's.

Ashley looked up again, "Why should I? It really doesn't matter. Now if you're not going to buy something, get out. There are other people waiting to be served." she scowled at (Y/N) and the other two, but there was some other emotion present in her eyes, (Y/N) couldn't exactly pin-point what it was, but he knew it wasn't anger.

"Hey, you can't talk to him like that! He's only trying to help, he cares about you!" Daniel's temper was rising and so was the volume of his voice.

"Daniel stop." (Y/N) looked to Ashley again but said nothing. She wasn't even looking at him anymore. She was looking at Daniel and giving him the evil eye.

If I didn't need this job so badly, I would have been over the counter and kicking this fucking imbecile in the ass for telling me what to do. Who does he think he is? "I've told you twice now, order something or get out" she somehow managed to refrain from saying something that could have potentially cost her her job.

Monika moved in front of Daniel as Ashley continued to glare at him, her body language had become defensive and she was completely prepared for Ashley to do something to Daniel . She wasn't going to allow that at all costs. "Come on let's just go, Danny " she grabbed hold of his arm.

"Fine, we're going. You don't deserve someone like (Y/N)! He's too good for you" Daniel said as Monika began to pull him away.

Ashley's facial expression remained blank but she felt something inside sting at the redhead's words.

(Y/N) raised his voice for the first time in a long time, "Shut up Daniel!" He was in despair. Inside he was battling a mixture of anger and helplessness. He then turned to Ashley again, "Ashley I'm...so sorry...I-I have to go..." by that point people in the queue behind him had started to complain rather noisily. (Y/N) had no choice but to follow Daniel and Monika out of the restaurant.

Ashley didn't say anything and (Y/N) was unable to read her facial expression at that moment. He couldn't tell if she was angry or upset with him. Ashley quickly turned her attention away from him and focussed on the customers, ignoring him completely. (Y/N) watched her over his shoulder as he walked away, she didn't even give him a second glance.

When Ashely finally finished her shift a few hours later, she was somewhat grateful. However, as she walked home late at night alone, she began to dread what was to come.

I just hope he's already passed out.

Returning home was not the only thing that was playing on her mind. Why did (Y/N) have to turn up again? Why did he have to find out that she works in McDonalds? Why was he always trying to be so nice to her? It really seemed like he generally cared about her...And what exactly did that loud mouth mean by "You don't deserve someone like (Y/N)! He's too good for you"? She knew it was the truth. But did it mean he had feelings for her? Ashley didn't know for sure, she had always isolated herself from others and therefore had little experience with relationships of any kind. All she knew was that (Y/N) was becoming dangerous. Every attempt she had made to push him away had been futile, it was beginning to seem like he wouldn't stop until he had completely stripped her to her very core and discovered everything there was to know about her. What made it worse was that she had almost stopped fighting back. She had accepted those sandwiches from him and allowed him to sit with her at lunch. She was letting him get away with it. Does this mean that I have feelings for him, as well? After a few seconds reality hit Ashley in the face, what the hell was she even thinking? She shook her head vigorously. No. No way. Of course she didn't have feelings for him. Why would that thought even cross her mind?