❀ Six ❀

~Close Calls~

Dan

"So, exactly how do we 'just exist'?" Phil questioned, as if I was all knowing on the topic.

I hiked him up further on my back before answering. "Well, we can start with this: what would you normally do on a day off?"

"I- um. Well I might draw or do homework or something," he offered lamely.

16:23

"Right. So those are off the table. The first key to existing is getting rid of responsibility," I explained, pretending to know exactly what I was talking about.

"Okay," he agreed, seemingly unfazed.

In all honesty Phil probably would have gone with anything I said, but it was still nice hearing confirmation.

"And tell me, boo, on your days off do you ever worry about school and life and friends?"

"Yeah," he admitted honestly.

"Great. We're doing none of that today either!" I smiled when I heard him laugh.

"One more question," I continued, squeezing his legs lightly.

"What?"

"At any point in your life, have you rolled down a grassy hill?" I asked extremely seriously.

"What? No," he laughed.

"Well then, that's first on the agenda!" I decided confidently.

I kept walking with him on my back, trying to remember the route to the location. I had an excellent hill in mind. It had good quality grass and everything.

"Wait, Dan, you aren't serious, right?" he asked me once he saw what we were approaching.

"I never joke about stupid activities. C'mon, spork, you should know this by now."

The hill loomed before us. It wasn't actually that steep, but it's was immensely long, so rolling to the bottom took some time. This was probably the best hill in the world for rolling, since there was nothing to hit, aside from wildflowers and grass. I was proud of it. It had taken a long time to find.

"Isn't it, y'know, dangerous?" Phil mumbled, his distaste painfully obvious in his tone.

"It's a hill, sugar plum. Worst case scenario you get grass stains," I pointed out.

I heard Phil's light chuckle. It made me happy.

12:57

Once we got close to the edge, I crouched down, and allowed him to slide off of my back.

He was staring at the hill uneasily. I could tell he was still scared.

"Look, Phil, I get it. You haven't tried this before. That's cool, and that's fine. But you're my friend, and I'm here to look out for you. And I think that you could stand to jump out of your comfort zone every once in awhile. This is an amazing way to do that if you choose, but you can also stay up here if you want." I paused for a few seconds, and put my hands on his shoulders. "There's just one thing you should know."