☾Fifteen☽

~Search~

Phil

If I'd ever thought Dan was scary, his absence was a hundred times worse.

The fear of what Dan might do when left on his own was awful. He might be hurt, he might be scared.

And I missed him.

I found myself going up into the lighthouse more and more. I went there to avoid school, which was filled with people who probably hated me. I went there to avoid Dan's mum, who asked me countless questions every time she saw me. I went there to get out of my head. It made me feel close to Dan when I was there.

I kept reading his letter over and over again. I kept staring at his shaky words, and knowing that he wouldn't have left without me if I could just love him.

One night I even slept in the lighthouse. Or I at least stayed there. I never fell asleep.

I spent my time staring at the sky and listening to the crashing waves. I looked at the moon. I took comfort in the fact that Dan might be staring at the same moon at the same time.

The sky reminded me of Dan. I remembered when we had only just met, and he had 'kidnapped me'. We walked in the woods and ended up sleeping in a field, the sky around us.

I missed him so much. I wanted Dan to be up here with me. I wanted him to hold me close. I wanted my friend back. It wasn't fair.

☾❀☽

The following days after he left, I tried so hard to pretend that everything was normal. I went to school one day, hoping that the routine would make me feel okay. But it didn't. I was only going through the motions. All my actions and words were vacant, my mind still reeling without Dan by my side.

I wanted it to all stop. I wanted to turn around and find Dan smiling behind me. But that wasn't the case.

I left school early. I decided not to go back again without Dan. It was getting bad.

☾❀☽

It was late when I got the text. I was awake, though, still reading the stupid letter. And then my phone buzzed.

Meet me at the park tomorrow. 1pm.

It was a number I'd never seen before. My only thought was Dan.

Dan Dan Dan.

It had to be. Dan was coming home. I was going to see him tomorrow. I was so beautifully close to seeing him. I would be okay.

☾❀☽

The next day I could barely keep the grin off my face. Dan. I left for the park much earlier than I probably needed to.

I was sitting on the swing when I heard him.

"Hey."

I spun around and saw a tall figure with dark hair. But that was where his similarities to Dan ended.

He turned to face me. Chris. It was Chris. Fuck. Not Dan. I felt my heart drop.

I stood up from the swing and backed up a few steps. "I- I shouldn't be here, I need to go home," I muttered.