❀ Sixteen ❀

~Revealed~

Dan

I missed him.

That was one thing I knew.

I had missed Phil when I was with Chris, and I missed him again when I went searching. As far as I went, that never changed. I always missed him.

The lighthouse door was already a little ajar before I pushed it open. "Phil?" I shouted.

I stumbled up the stairs as quickly as possible, even though there was no way to know if Phil was even there.

When I made it to the top, I peered  into the room. At first glance, I thought it was empty.

Then I saw him.

Phil.

My beautiful Phil.

He was curled up on the ground but shot up straight the moment I came in.

And then he smiled.

☾❀☽

After making sure that my wings were tucked away, I followed the girl into the cabin.

I was immediately hit by the smell of pine and the sea. The room was small and modestly furnished. I failed to see her for a few seconds, but when I did I nearly gasped.

An extremely old woman sat on the ground before me. Her wings were the biggest I'd ever seen. They were a glossy black but seemed to act like prisms, rainbows of light reflected from their glossy surfaces. They were also very bent. Probably crippled somehow. I wondered if she could fly.

"Greetings, boy. I am Evangeline." She introduced herself. Her voice was rich and soft.

She then turned to face the girl beside me. "Why have you brought him to me? You know as well as anyone that bringing humans into the village is forbidden," she chided. It annoyed me a little when she spoke like that; acting like I wasn't there.

"That's just the thing. He's not a human," the girl explained.

The old woman looked skeptical, to say the least.

"Show her," the girl whispered to me, offering an encouraging nod.

I squeezed my eyes shut, and brought my wings back. I spread them over my head for good measure.

The woman stared at me for a few moments. Her eyes went wide, and she looked confused. Or scared. I couldn't quite read her expression.

☾❀☽

Phil stumbled to his feet and ran towards me. We collided, and he was in my arms.

"Dan," he gasped. It to me a moment to realize that he was crying. I was too. I was back with Phil.

"Are you okay?" I asked him softly, running my hands through his silky hair.

Phil nodded a few times, then pressed his face back into my chest. "I'm good."

I kept him in my arms. I didn't want to move. He didn't want to move. We were quiet for a few moments, just taking each other in. It was enough.