Why Do You Care?

"How can you be so calm about this?!"

"Those people were hoping you would die!"

"Izaya...thank you for loving me."

Izaya sighed as he continued walking through the streets of Ikebukuro, on his way home. His time spent with Heiwajima Shizuo while he was sick kept replaying in his head, not leaving him alone no matter what he did.

"Why on earth was he crying?" The informant muttered to himself, staring at the ground thoughtfully as his mind whirled with questions.

Shizuo was always so unpredictable.

Ever since Izaya could remember, no one had cried over him.

Including himself.

Now suddenly the man who was supposed to be his arch enemy was sobbing over stupid texts on the internet.

They honestly weren't even that bad, the raven had heard much worse words aimed towards him on a regular basis.

He was positive Shizuo had heard things said about him as well.

So why now?

Right...because the blond believed he was in love with him.

Izaya felt his cheeks turn slightly pink and he smiled as he recalled the bodyguard saying he would give him a chance.

That would be nice-

"Shut up!" The observer snarled to himself, paying no attention to the people staring at him.

What the hell was he thinking?!

It wouldn't be fun, it'd be horrible.

Despicable.

God awful.

Rotten.

Izaya was above such petty emotions and he refused to fall to them.

He'd seen what love could do to people firsthand.

Running a hand through his hair, the small man couldn't help but remember the feel of Shizuo stroking through it.

Stop it!

He shook his head furiously, trying to think about something else.

Besides, Shizuo was only giving him a chance because he believed Izaya could feel.

Which was obviously not true.

No, he knew very well what a disgusting person he was.

The informant understood that the reason he had no friends was simply due to his actions.

Did he care?

Nope!

All Izaya cared about was his beloved humans!

Right.

That's all that mattered.

But...was it wrong to think about a different life where he could perhaps be with the debt collector?

Izaya sighed.

Yes, it was. That stupid dream would never happen.

He couldn't let himself sink to the level of a human.

Humans felt pain, heartbreak, and betrayal.

Izaya never wanted to feel those emotions again.

A car suddenly pulled up beside the man who was lost in his own thoughts.

"Orihara-san. Shiki no Dana has requested I escort you to his office. He has something to discuss with you." The window slid down to reveal Akabayashi.

Izaya nodded and climbed into the vehicle, shoving away Shizuo for the time being.

Eyes dull, the informant reminded himself never to wander so far from reality again.

Shizu-chan...why do you care, anyway?