"Who are you?"

Taym

Who Are You?

After staring intently for a continuous 10 minutes at where she last stood, Dave’s voice shook me out of my trance.

“Dude! What’s up with this place? It’s screwed up!” came his slow-mo sloth like voice from behind, “What did d’ya do here, man! Like seriously this day can’t get any worse. I come back from a wild goose chase to clean up your dump… I mean… Dude, not cool. I ca-”

“Dave.” I cut in, “Enough. I’ll clean up.” I walked around the turned over tables and chairs and put them the right way up. 

“Yeah. Alright… You do that... whatever, man…”He pulled off his Mucho’s Shake’s cap and wiped the sweat off of his forehead with his shirt as he walked into the kitchen mumbling something about zombie apocalypses.

His absence gave me a chance to think things through properly. Did that actually just happen?! I mean… she was in my mind. Like literally! I wiped off the stains the smoothie she dropped left behind and realized what a big mistake I’ve done letting her go; But then again, I didn’t let her go easy. If it wasn’t for her ridiculously quick reflexes, she should’ve fell flat on her face over the furniture I cast at her. Not to mention the smoothie cups storming her face. Yet she swatted at and skipped over them effortlessly. I rarely ever moved things in the company of another person unless I had to, obviously, and this time something pushed me to do so. The fact that I had just lost a ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity, despite my efforts, began to dawn on me. I couldn’t help but feel miserable, but I sort of got used to it. I’m miserable at ALL times; however, the brief 5 minutes I spent with her was different. The energy she radiated was different. She seemed to mesmerize me which alerted all my senses. I felt an irresistible urge to soothe her, and a contradictory urge to strangle her. An aggressive blend of emotions seemed to cook in my heart; the last time I’ve felt this way was when I first stood over Mom’s grave.

“YO!” called out a girl I vaguely recognized at the counter.

“Uh… yeah?” I absentmindedly replied.

“You seen a girl come ‘round here around 20 minutes ago? She’s ‘bout wee tall, long wavy brown hair, green eyes in case you gotta closer look… which you probably shouldn’t have…” She eyed me suspiciously, “Oh! And she’s rockin’ a hoodie.”

No… It can’t be… But she must be her sister! I thought, and stopped abruptly in case she might read my thoughts as well, but she showed no reaction.

“Yeah, she came by… Bought a smoothie- left in a hurry too.” I quickly replied, pointing at the direction she ran at.

“Oh, alright. Thanks.” She turned around to leave, but stopped and looked back suddenly; her voice was dangerously hostile, “Did she buy two smoothies or just one.

“Uh… one.” I slowly said watching her go off in a huff towards the parking lot. “DAVE! THE KEYS. NOW!” I called out into the kitchen.

“Dude, chill! Is that an order or something? I don’t remember having a Keys Shake on the menu man, theres something wrong with the ord-”

“No. No dave. Its not an order, I want the van’s keys.” I patiently pushed on, constantly glancing at her to make sure she stays in line of sight.

“Dude, we’ve got backup supplies in the store. We don’t need to buy anything, man. We’re all stocke-” He leisurely insisted.

“DAVE!” That was when I lost it. I snatched the keys out of his hands and darted towards the parking lot.

“Dude! You haven’t even got a license!” Dave’s voice gradually trailed off as I finally got to my destination. Her vehicle wasn’t very difficult to miss, a bright pink Toyota pickup. Thing is, nor was my Mucho’s Shake’s supply van. She recklessly drove out knocking over around three ‘Slow Down’ signs; I grasped the wheels firmly, pushed down hard on the gas and followed from a distance.

After driving past around 5 blocks, she began to slow down and evenly made a right. Down the road I spotted an old lady in bright red heels walking her dogs; she began gesturing and signaling at the girl’s pickup while frantically tugging at the leashes of her panicking poodles. Unexpectedly, the Toyota viciously sped up and actually intended to drive over her! But just in time she took a violent turn and parked at what was probably her home. I parked a few feet away and observed. She stepped into the house absolutely ignoring the lady’s howls and the dogs’ barking. It was entirely lined with flowerpots, “Welcome” and “Home Sweet Home” signs hung everywhere, and the opaque curtains were a pale pink. It was a little too feminine if you ask me, but I didn’t come all the way here to criticize her house. I began to drive bit by bit in hopes I’d get a clearer view.

It was a very tense moment. I couldn’t be seen but I desperately needed a better look. A few inches wouldn’t do any harm, would they? I thought to myself as I softlypressed down on the pedal.

“You!” Came a high pitched voice from right next to me causing a dent the shape of my head forming at the van’s roof.

“WOAH!” I screamed rubbing the top of my head with both my palms. I looked at the voice’s source, and saw the very same old lady’s head sticking into the van through the window.

“HUSH! You’ll scare Lulu and Roxie you evil delivery guys!” She snapped as she gave kissy faces and treats to her two poodles.

“Uhmm… sorry, Mrs.…”

“Its Mrs. Razi, and no I never ordered-” She took a look at the side of the van and went on “… smoothies. I never even knew they delivered those!”

“Actually, I wasn’t he-”

“I don’t CARE how much time it took you getting here! You have got the wrong address, love, and I am not paying you a cent! Now off you go.” She banged the side of the van signaling me to leave.

“But I wasn’t even-” I once again began to say;

“Hush! You young ones are always so persistent, but mark my words child, I am NOT tolerant, Lulu’s a fighter and Roxie’s a runner, off you go. Now.” She turned around and stepped into a very luxurious house I happened to be parking right in front of.

I decided not to test her patience, as much as I wanted to, and drove on slowly by the strange girl’s house. I stopped by the mailbox and stepped out of the van to get a clearer view.

“Hills” it read and I figured it must’ve been her surname.

I turned to get back into my car but then I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye in the second floor. The curtains were moving and were calmly pulled to one side. That was when I saw her, and she saw me. I tried studying the expression on her face, but no matter how much I attempted I couldn’t do it. We locked eyes for a brief minute, and then I heard it; her sweet voice ringing in my mind like a Siren’s melody.

“Who are you?”