Don't Cry Wolf

Taym

Don't Cry Wolf

“There’s something out there. Something I don’t want you to meet. I haven’t the slightest clue what it is… Only use your powers when you must, Taym, control yourself.”

 No matter how hard I’d try,I couldn’t seem to shake off Rick’s warning. I needed to think, and to nobody’s surprise I couldn’t. Not while Rita and I were in the same room.

“Sixty eight dents and thirty seven bloody scratches!” Complained Leah’s sister tapping the rough wooden table top furiously and breaking the silence as we rested in the town’s diner “So you aren’t going to tell me, are you? My car is in the intensive care unit, and you’re still not going to say anything?”

 “Rita, it’s just maintenance! And we already told you, we don’t know!” Leah exasperatedly said, her head resting on her hand.

“Doesn’t your cousin know anything about this? What about the research?” Rita pressed on, rubbing her forehead.

“Rick warned me about this but –” I began to say before Rita cut me off.

“He –what?!” She barked, almost getting off her seat, her fists clenched, “And you went on with this, like some school fieldtrip?!”

“Rita! Calm down! I wasn’t sure at first, but now that we’ve actually encountered him I am. I caught a glimpse of this guy –the day we rushed out your café.” Leah cut in desperately.

“Wait… what?” Rita closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. “This is just getting worse and worse…”

“Taym, this is beginning to escalate! It’s not going to end well!” Leah hastily hissed in my head, and for the first time after that wild chase our eyes met. At that moment, I had finally uncovered the source of my troubled feelings. She was in deep danger, and I wasn’t able to save her.

“That’s it. We’re going back home.” Rita tyrannically declared.

“What?! No, Rita! We’ve gone through all this; we can’t just give up now!” Leah frantically attempted calming her down.

“Leah, your safety is at stake. This is for your own good; you’ve got to trust me on this.” Rita coldly said, unmoved.

“Taym! Need some help here!” Leah’s anxious voice in my mind hauled me into action.

I turned to face Rita, “How did you do it?” I irrelevantly wondered, my mind racing, “How did you do it, Rita?”

 “Did what?” She abruptly said.

“You know! Leah and I both have special powers, and we couldn’t stop him. You thought of something brilliant so quickly and you saved us. So how did you do it, Rita?”

She sat back in her chair, and raised an eyebrow at me, “Are you mocking me?”

“No! Seriously!” I exclaimed.

She flipped her hair to the back conceitedly, as I caught a glimpse of Leah’s wide grin,“Well, let me enlighten you, kid –”

“Your dinner is ready, folks!” said a rushed waiter rapidly throwing steaks onto our table.

“I guess I’m going to have to tell you right after we eat!” Rita murmured, slightly smiling and casually went on, “You got the address, Taym?”

“Yeah! Of course I do!” I hurriedly said, hardly able to believe how quickly she’d changed her mind.

I unfolded a crippled paper I had previously stuffed into my pockets and took one closer look at it.