Rocking Her Pink Toyota

Taym

Rocking Her Pink Toyota

The chemical stink of fresh paint reeked and the rough old wooden chair gave me sores, but that was probably the least of my concerns at the moment. Leah had warned me about her sister – but only when we were all seated in a circular four seat table, in what was supposedly renovating café, did I understand. I glanced to my right where my cousin, Rick, gawkily rocked in his seat as Rita, Leah’s sister, continuously glared at him while she placed the last of the brand new sets of gleaming mugs off our table and onto the counter.

“Ahem...” Leah, who sat across me, cleared her throat in attempt to break the awkward silence, “Shall we… uh... get started?”

“Alright,” I nodded and shook Rick out of his trance, “Hey Rick, show’em what you got.”

“What you got… Hah! Ms. Razi’s got more than he does…” Rita murmured, obviously thwarted.

Rick, ignoring her remark, dug into his corroded suitcase and brought out a few neatly packed pale yellow documents.

“Well according to what Taym’s given me, this is what I managed to produce.”

“Produce?!” Rita’s loud snort came from behind the counter puzzling the three of us.

“Uh... Yes... Produce.”  He formally replied as he pushed the filed papers towards Leah and cleansed his thick circular glasses.

Leah reached out, keeping a goaded eye at her sister as she took a seat beside her, grasped the papers and scanned along them.

 “Whoa... that’s pretty professional…” She said squinting as though she had been asked to translate hieroglyphics.

“Give me that!” Rita snatched the paper and read aloud, “Bla bla bla… Mhm… This is nonsense!”

“Miss, you’re holding it the wrong way up.” Rick calmly informed her.

‘Oh no… This is not going to turn out well…’ I heard Leah’s voice in my mind as Rita turned to face Rick wearing an irritated face.

“Yeah? And you’re only 24 and you’ve got a bald spot the size of an ostrich’s egg on your head!” She snapped, and preceded her glaring, “Ouch! Leah!”

‘I’m so sorry, Taym, she was expecting a little bit… er… more… him being your cousin and all’ I looked at Leah’s uncomfortable contrite face, a few chestnut strands were blocking out one of her bright green eyes, and I seem to have gotten a hazy idea of what she’d meant. See, Rick wasn’t anywhere above average. In fact, he’d typically be classified down at the unsatisfactory part of a survey; however, it never seems to bother him.

Confused at her irrelevant response, he collected the documents and decided to explain instead.

“Basically, what these say, is that there are 5 excluding you two,” He addressed Leah and me and adjusted his black silk tie, “I also managed to uncover a few useful details.”

“Go on…” Leah drew nearer.

“Well, I think I might have managed to discover the location of one of those 5, and it’s quite a distance from here.”

Rita seemed to loosen up a bit, “How far?”

“Achwick Valley, that’s roughly 170 miles north” I filled in.

“That’s not far! With the help of my crazy driving, and some good Starbucks, you’d wind up there in no more than two hours!” Rita boasted.

“You’d really drive us?” I tried smiling at her, in case she was our only shot.