Triplets

Leah

Triplets

Slumped and sunken deep into Rita’s furry car seat, I waited. My heart and mind both raced at an equal pace as I wondered what horrific things might have happened to Taym. A lot can go on in an hour, and I didn’t think they were baking fresh chocolate chip cookies in that clinic.

 I glanced over at Rita, her brow furrowed and her eyes darting straight at the veterinary’s solid glass door where an “OPEN” sign swung from its top; the stillness and peace of the outdoors taunting the both of us. With every second gone by, anxiousness conquered yet another chunk of my insides until I couldn’t take it anymore.

I reached for the door and jerked it open, but before I managed to get off my seat, Rita firmly clasped me back down.

“What on earth do you think you’re doing? We’re not on holiday here, you numbskull!” She hissed her voice dangerously low.

“You got a better idea?” I snapped as I shook her hand off.

“If this was anywhere close to being a good idea, I would’ve thought of it ages ago Leah. Now sit down and ju-” She began to say until I impatiently cut her off.

“Do you think he’ll be able to convince him to come with?”

“I know I could, that’s no–” She tried to say.

“What if he had family here –responsibilities? Then all this would be in vain!” I pressed on.

“Leah, Rick’s research specifically noted he didn’t! Even if h–” She once again attempted to speak until I bombarded her with some more questions that kept my mind busy.

“What if he doesn’t feel comfortable working for you, Rita? It wouldn’t be the first time!”

“I’m perfectly sure a room like the one we’ve got is an undeniable offer. Not to mention it’s the floor right above the café for the love of god! He’d be a du–”

“What could possibly be taking him so long?!” I cried out exasperated as I began fidgeting with the straps of my backpack and about just then came the distant loud barking and howling from behind the pickup truck.

Without second thought, I jumped out of the vehicle and rushed towards their source, my insanity confusing me as I did, and stopped abruptly as my eyes fell upon two full sized wolves, Taym, and another guy who looked like someone off of WWE grasping a satchel. They continued to naturally walk towards me, and I yearned to scream my lungs out–whether it was due to the fact that two ferocious beasts were approaching me, their fangs bared and their dense fur swaying from side to side as they trotted or due to utter relief – I couldn’t tell.

 “Leah! Will you ever learn..” Rita slowly walked up next to me sighing as she did, a hand in her pocket and another leaning on the pickup’s rim; I could tell she was already calculating where sucker punching the newcomer would hurt the most if things went wrong, obviously disregarding the wolves.

“Took you long enough.” Rita tried her hardest not to sound too relieved, her eyes fixed on who I hoped would be the Swallow, “Is he the guy?”

“Oh thank goodness! I thought something had happened to you! Did everything go as planned?” I spoke into Taym’s mind, keeping both my eyes fixed at the furry creatures at his companion’s feet. I didn’t need to be a genius to point out he wasn’t just another kid he’d picked up on his way back.

“That’s right.” He proudly smiled as he prodded the newcomer forward and nodded at me.

 “Scott Swallow.” He said in a strong Morgan Freeman like voice, as he drew forth his arm stiff with muscle towards me and swung his sandy long strands of hair away from his face.

The two wolves brushed their soft white fur against his baggy old jeans, their eyes almost as wild as his.

“Leah Hills, and she’s my-” I began to say, as he clasped my hand and shook firmly.

“Boss. I'm your new boss. Now what? Are we supposed to keep him in a bird cage or something?” Rita said taken back as he smirked at her.

“Rita!” I snapped at her, “Sorry, Scott… she’s er… like that. Whats your er…”

Eyes fixed on Rita and a mischievous grin spread across his face he quickly said, “Animals.”

He knelt down and vigorously began to stroke the two wolves as they affectionately rubbed against him, “I control them.”

“Who would’ve guessed,” Rita murmured loud enough for us to hear, before she attempted to drive the wolves away in vain, “Shoo! I can use some more fur for my car, so unless you two are ready to donate, off you go!”

“You don’t shoo a wolf, Rita!” Taym butt in sighing and signaled the satchel, “Anyway, he’s coming with us –along with them of course!”

“Say what?!” Rita blurted out, “If let alone this guy gets onto my truck, he’ll tip us over –no offence, Scottie–.”

“None taken.”

“What do you think is going to happen with two additional wolves?! We’d probably crash down into Earth’s core!” She finished off; clearly pissed someone else was making decisions behind her back.

That second, I couldn’t help but wonder whether speaking into Scott’s mind was as impossible as it sounds and so I thought I’d have to give it a shot.

“Hey! Is your family okay with this or..?” I hummed into his head and at that instant he immediately turned to face me, as though I’d spoken out loud, his mouth gaping.

“Well you’re definitely handling this better than Taym did the first time he heard.” I giggled at the thought of that as I went on, the distance between his upper and lower lips growing as I did.

“Hold on a second,” Taym said, puzzled at my sister’s reaction, “Did you actually think we were looking for him to drop by and say hi? We’re going to take the wolves.”

“Well I… Whatever.” She abruptly stopped, turned around and climbed into the pickup, “Get in. It’s going to get dark soon.”

I waited until Scott settled in with his wolves at the back of the truck hoping to get some “alone” time with Taym.  Taking me by surprise, he gracefully twisted me around so that I’d face him, gently sweeping a hair away from my eyes and tenderly caressing my cheeks.

“If only you were able to read what’s going on in my head.” Taym whispered into my ear.

“What would I find?” I murmured a tinge of hope in my voice.

“I-”

“Get in the car already!” Rita’s impatient screaming cut him off from behind the steering wheel, “We need to get back!”