The T. Café

Leah

The T. Café

I pushed the door open with my spare key and walked past Mom who rushed to greet me from the kitchen.

She grabbed me and gave me a kiss on the cheek, I tried shaking her off of me; that’s not what I needed right now. I needed information.

“Where’s Rita, honey?” She inquired watching me hastily climb up the stairs, skipping steps. “Something wrong, dear?”

“No Mom, I’m alright I just need some time alone.” I assured her from upstairs.

I barged into my room, smacked the door shut, and free fell onto the bed.

Thousands of questions stormed my mind, how could this be happening! If I did speak in his mind, why didn’t he do the same, like Gran? I sat back up and my eyes fell on a peculiar shaped brown box innocently resting on my open closet’s top shelf.

Gran’s Box!

“Guard it with your life, if anything anomalous happens to you, you may open it. Hopefully, it would answer most of your questions”

She’d told me when she’d given it to me.

I took down the box, along with a million dust particles, with the tips of my fingers and placed it onto my desk.

This was it.

I looked at it intently, admiring its flawless wooden carvings and my resistance to curiosity for the last two years. I took hold of the lid, slowly took it off and peeked into it.

If it was supposed to ‘answer my questions’ as Gran had put it, that’s definitely what it didn’t do. In fact, with every piece I pulled out, my queries seemed to multiply! I took out a fragile bundle of photographs, some so old and tattered.

 In every picture I spotted a constantly appearing lady with different people in different scenes, but it clearly wasn’t our local suburb; In some  I identified the Arc du Triumph off the corner, in other’s I made out the Taj Mahal, in a few I recognized the Tokyo tower in Japan, and Opera house in Sydney.

In every single picture there was that lady, flashing her bright smile at the camera, Julia Roberts’s style – My Gran.

 As much as I tried to convince myself it wasn’t her, I couldn’t deny it. Who were these people? I don’t recall Gran going on a ‘All Around the World in 80 days’ trip!

 I carefully put the bundle aside, dug back into the box and took out a really thick parchment clearly folded into squares and rolled into a scroll. It felt rough and heavy in my hands. I began to spread it out onto the floor, placed my Chemistry, Literature, Math and Biology books on all four corners to stop it from rolling back in, and got on top of my bed to take a better look at it. 

At first it looked like some sort of canvas. There were seven different species of trees lined up by each other. I took a closer look and noticed at each tree’s roots there were two figures, each labeled with a name; it then occurred to me, this must be a family tree! More like family trees.

Then I saw it.

My heart began to race. I rubbed my eyes hard, yet there it was; mockingly lying there. I dragged myself over and stared at it.

“Leah” I read off the top of the tree to the furthest left side. I scanned my tree for anyone else in my generation but it seemed to be just me; oddly likewise to the rest of the trees. It hadn’t included Rita, or Mom; it did however, include Gran. I continued investigating it, but something persistently distracted me and pushed me to losing my concentration. No -not Rita being her typical self after storming into the house- but something else, something magnetizing was drawing me towards the window. I got up and slowly approached it, with every step I took, my heart somersaulted in anticipation. I didn’t understand why; but I couldn’t stop. I took hold of the curtains, pulled it back, and looked at our front yard only to set eyes on the very same guy I met at Mucho’s Shakes. My mouth went dry and my heart skipped several beats. There he was, standing tall and strong by our mail box, his yellow eyes staring right into me. How on earth did he find me?!