An Opening Night -Gone Wrong

Taym

An Opening Night Gone Wrong

I needed to look my best. The night I’ve been looking forward to for the past week was finally here! Tonight, I was hoping I’d be spending some quality time with Leah after a hectic week’s work.

Dressed up, I peeked out the office’s partially opened door. Bob and Steve, two old pointless men who had volunteered to help out from around the neighborhood occupied the hall’s end in deep conversation, and I couldn’t help but notice how amused they seemed to be in one another. I was pretty sure if there was anything they’d done to this place, it’d be the amount of space they were taking up.

I walked out and followed the distant thunderous beats rocking the walls from downstairs; with every step I take, the music getting louder, my palms getting sweatier, and my breaths heavier.

Pushing open the “Employees Only” door with a click, I treaded into the Café space where the party was held. That was when my eyes fell upon at least a thousand things at once. Laughter would break out here and there –probably at the group of nitwits dancing at the center. There were people everywhere. Strangers, relatives, friends, and well… Ms. Barbara Razi.

 Sensing her beady eyes fixed right at me, I turned to face her in her puffy pink coat, a bright yellow sun-hat tilted to the right on top of her 90’s Super Granny hairdo, and her two poodles (whom she had also dressed in puffy pink coats) sat by each her sides.

Horrified, I watched her makeup-soaked lips start to move, “Dance with me, honey.”

“I…er…” Speechless, I slowly began to back away as I stammered, “ I’ve got… er… things to do… trays to er… drinks… er… I’ve got to er… go –bye!”

As the crowds closed in the distance between us, the last I glimpsed of Ms. Barbara Razi was her blowing me a kiss.

 I spotted Scott, the music as loud as ever, lounging and sunken deep in a bean bag, where he was clearly boasting about the Graffiti he’d filled the Café walls with, to a group of girls that must’ve been Leah’s high school friends.

Speaking of which, where is she?

 Just then a bunch of abnormally loud chortles and chuckles burst out from my left.

“Phew! Oh my… Oh my god,” Cried Rita, stumbling before me in a retro short black dress, struggling for air and wiping off her happy tears, “That kid is just hilarious! Oh hey! Who would’ve thought –you clean up pretty well!”

“Erm… Thanks… Rita, you seen Leah?” I said awkwardly, hardly able to believe this Rita was the same grumpy, demoralized, and hopeless girl I’ve been dealing with for the past week.

“Juice Bar!” She managed to yell out as the crowds took her deeper into the party.

The instant I laid my eyes on her, I forgot everything. Her stunning smile tossed a week’s preparation of feelings I needed to express to her straight out the window.

 It was only a little too late had I realized I’d been gawking at her, in her flawless lacy golden dress, for too long. Her silky brown locks fell over her rosy cheeks as she turned to face me.

Our eyes met and suddenly the world around us hit pause.

This time it was different.

This time, I wanted to have her expose all I’ve had hidden in my mind; No word in any spoken language on the face of this Earth would’ve been an equivalent to what I feel for her. I wanted her to see and almost immediately her eyes lit.

I took a step forward; and before I could take another, a puzzling burning sensation intercepted my attention. I looked up at Leah, her hand tightly grasping her blazing Syracuse tied around her neck. A look of utter confusion occupied her face, and I was pretty sure I had the same look on as well.

It couldn’t be the feelings we felt for each other – or could it?

I glanced over at Scott, one of his hands firmly clasping his own scorching Syracuse.

Something was definitely not right.

We exchanged a look of alert, and he signaled to the main entrance. Cautiously, I turned around trying to catch a glimpse of what he’s been hinting at from over the crowds.

A ghostly figure, dressed in white from head to toe, blocked the Café’s way in. Her silvery strands of hair were almost floating around her fair face.

I didn’t need to be a genius to point she wasn’t ordinary. It wasn’t the fact that she had her eyes lightly shut as she hovered off of the ground at quarter an inch; but it was that unnatural eerie glow about her.

If the emotional concoction I was feeling wasn’t enough, I was injected with an extra dose of worry after spotting Leah step up to the creepy girl at the entrance. Neither spoke, but a moment of understanding passed between them.

My heart sank as the intruder turned and exited, closely followed by none other but Leah.

I dashed forward, ignoring the complaints as I rammed everyone out of my way. My mind and heart raced for a quick attack strategy; my eyes darted to the left and caught a glimpse of Scott sprinting and tackling his way through the crowds.

 I burst out of the Café and frantically looked around the dark street–but there was no sign of Leah.

I briefly raced around the vicinity desperately scouring the area for any sign of her, but all in vain.

Scott burst out of the Café, heavily breathing.

It was just me, him, and the still baleful intruder at the edge of the block.

“WHERE IS SHE?!” I yelled at the top of my lungs as I rapidly tore down the distance between us, fists clenched and hardy able to contain my rage, “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HER?!”

He pulled me back, pointing at his wolves softly rubbing against her legs, baffled.

“She is where she is destined to be.” She said in a shrilly, silvery voice, the calmness in her tone taunting me.

“What –who are you?” exclaimed Scott keeping me at bay and trying to avoid doing anything stupid.

“I am Chiara Blackwood; One of the seven –one of you.”