l.

" Babe, these damn kids are about to get on my nerves. Keep ringing the doorbell, for what? " I asked him, pissed off.

" For candy, babe. " he told me, chuckling.

" What candy? " I looked around. He pointed to the orange bowl sitting by the door, and I looked back at him. " That wasn't there just now. "

" Mhmm. " he walked away. He looked sexy in his gangster vampire costume. I walked over to the door, opening it.

" Trick or treat! " the children yelled, holding out their bags.

" Trick or treat my ass, and do me a favor, don't come back. " I told them, dropping the candy inside their bags.

" Terrell, stop it. " D'wight punched me. " Aren't you guys the cutest? "

" Boy, you ain't no thug. " one of the little girls sassed. I looked at D'wight, who had a blank expression on his face.

" You're right, I'm a vampire that will bite yo' ass. " he told her.

" See, here you go. Y'all kids be safe. " I waved the off, closing the door. " What are you doing in here, anyways? "

" Have to restock the table. " he said, grabbing the fruit tray from out of the fridge.

" Aww, look at my baby. Work away from work, huh? " I hugged his waist.

" Yeah, but it's worth it. " he grabbed my face, pecking my lips.

" Another one. " I said and he pecked them again. " Another one. "

" Terrell, get out of my face. " he mushed me, taking the food outside and I followed him. He really did a nice job with this. Our backyard was huge, so he used that as space for bounce houses, games, food, activities, he even had a face painter out here. The balloons were placed strategically, and so were the tables, which were filled up with people. I looked over to Krystal and my mother, who were laughing at Kaylee. " You good? "

" Yeah, I'm good. Come on. " I told him, walking over to where D'wight's friends, my sister and mother were sitting.

" How do you feel? " he asked me. I sighed.

" You got me wanting to let go of this negative energy, D. " I replied, honestly.

" Your heart is telling you something. " he stopped. He looked into my eyes. " I'm here for you, and nothing will change that, you got me? "

" I gotchu'. " I pecked his lips, then continued walking.

" Look who decided to join the party? " Krystal sassed as we sat down.

" Don't you look handsome? " my mother cooed. " So, I have a question? Who is the top, and who is the bottom? "

" Oh my gosh, really? " everybody asked her, laughing.

" Why does it matter? " I laughed. I won't lie, it was funny.

" I just want to know. " she shrugged.

" D'wight, I bet you can't jump higher than I can? " Krystal challenged him.

" You a fool, wassup? " they got up, running over to the bounce houses. His friends followed, leaving just my mother and I. I looked over at Kaylee, smiling at how well she was getting along with the other children. Jarih was having a good time, getting into everything.

" D'wight told me what happened. " she started.

" With what? "

" When you suddenly stopped playing with that little girl. " she clarified.

" It was nothing. " I shrugged.

" It was love, baby! " she told me. I looked at her, meeting her gaze. " Don't shut that baby out, you can't do that. I won't let you, and D'wight sure as hell won't. " I laughed because she was telling the truth.

" I don't know how, mama. " I admitted. " I'm trying to move on, but it's so hard. It's like my body knows exactly when to build these walls, and when to tear them down. "

" And that's my fault. I am so sorry that you guys had to go through that. " she grabbed my hand, rubbing it. A tear fell down her cheek. " I should have told you guys that what happened wasn't right. You don't treat anybody like that, no matter what you're going through. Now you love that boy, and you love those children, God knows they need it. Both of you will reap good seeds doing this. "

" I will, mama. " I assured her.

" Promise me to raise them better than I raised you? Don't have them guessing, showing them right from wrong, show them how to take care of themselves, show them how to be a young adult. Promise me? "

I walked over to her, hugging her tightly. I rubbed her back, consoling her. This was the closure that I needed, and I'm glad I got it.

" Terrell, do you wanna' come jump with me and D? " Kaylee pulled at my pants leg. I looked at my mother who nodded her head.

" I sure do, let's go. "