So Many Ghosts

The months slipped by and before Hermione knew it the school year was over and she was once again ensconced in a compartment on the Hogwarts Express with some of her favorite people.

And everything was back as it should be.

Ginny was sitting cross-legged on the floor soundly stomping the boys in Exploding Snap, much to their annoyance. Luna was watching them play, a look of mild puzzlement on her face, but that didn't bother Hermione. She knew Luna didn't quite understand the point of playing card games. And Hermione could relate, it seemed a rather silly way to spend the time. Though she no longer felt the urge to discover just why her thoughts on the matter were so different from most peoples.

Sometimes it was better to just accept something and move on, that's what Aunt Andy always said at least.

Though Padfoot always rolled his eyes at that pronouncement. She couldn't quite figure out why, but she would. It was on her list of mysteries. Right up there with why her cousin Dora always blushed and hid from Uncle Remus. Something she'd been doing for as long as Hermione could remember. However, those two mysteries weren't nearly as far up as the biggest mystery of all: Why had Bellatrix Lestrange née Black attacked her parents?

Padfoot said there was no reason for it, that his cousin was just an insane psychopath. But Hermione knew that didn't explain everything. She remembered that night. It was etched into her brain, thanks to the nightmares, just as much as it was etched into her limbs.

She unconsciously tugged at the sleeves of her robes, making sure they were pulled down far enough to cover her.

Bellatrix had known Hermione was a witch. She'd known before Hermione had ever done anything to make her parents wonder.

She was sure of that.

So just how had Bellatrix found out?

The compartment door slide open and Hermione looked up from the book she'd been staring at, but not reading. Draco Malfoy, flunked by his two goons, stood in the doorway.

He slowly looked around the room before letting his eyes settle on the group sitting on the floor. He sneered, "Sitting on the floor like a bunch of animals, I should've expected that."

Harry scowled and opened his mouth to respond, but Hermione beat him to it.

"Really, Malfoy, you'd think you were raised in a barn. Unable to recognize the only appropriate way to play a game of Exploding Snap without destroying the furniture."

"Yes, Wrackspurts truly hate destroyed furniture. They get particularly vicious," Luna said dreamily.

Malfoy's eyes narrowed, but he focused them on Hermione, ignoring Luna. "Black, I'm sorry, I didn't see you there. I thought there were only boys in here."

"Why, you-!" Ginny began, jumping to her feet, reaching for her wand. Ron, Harry, and Neville were right behind her.

Hermione sighed and snapped her book closed before standing up. She moved and pushed to the front of the little group, next to Harry, drawing her wand as she did so. She crossed her arms and glared at Malfoy, standing at her tallest, which was at least two inches taller than him. She'd started to hit her growth spurt already, and she didn't think he'd grown an inch since they started at Hogwarts.

"Draco Malfoy, how dare you offer such base insults. Your mother would be ashamed if she heard you!" She began, just warming up.

His hands clenched into fists, "Just what do you know about my mother, Black!"