A Bug Problem

Draco pulled himself further into the dark niche created by a well-placed statue of a big-nosed warlock. He could hear footsteps coming closer, he knew Pansy must be on her way to meet with Skeeter. She'd made the mistake of telling him that Skeeter used some sort of small animagus form to enter Hogwarts and that they liked to meet in the old potions storeroom in the dungeons. Tonight he'd overheard her telling Daphne that she would be late to the library, she'd said she had to talk to someone.

He'd quite purposefully not mentioned That Skeeter was an animagus to Black. He didn't want it to become common knowledge, and he was sure she'd tell all her friends. And one of them would tell a responsible adult, and then he'd lose his chance to catch that nasty woman. Because someone would think to put up an anti-animagus ward rather than trap her.

He supposed that there wasn't already an animagus ward because this was a school and some seventh year transfiguration students liked to try working on it. Not to mention McGonagall and her cat trick.

No, it was better if only he knew until he caught her.

He'd meant what he said, once something was shared, it can't be unshared. He'd made the mistake of trusting Pansy not to share his secrets. She'd failed him. He was pretending he didn't know at the moment, keeping her close.

But once he caught Skeeter...

Well, let's just say Pansy was going to rue the day she betrayed him.

He felt a pang of pain at the thought. He'd really liked Pansy. He could hold real conversations with her, unlike Crabbe and Goyle. And she always had interesting comments about other students.

His father would probably tell him to keep her close, don't let her know he didn't trust her, and then use her. But he couldn't stomach the thought. Maybe he had too much of his mother in him, but he disliked the idea of even pretending to forgive a betrayer.

No, Pansy had destroyed their friendship. And he refused to forgive her.

She walked right past him, her stride confident. She didn't even look around as she slipped into the old storeroom just down the hall from his hiding place.

The door shut with a small click and he cautiously moved closer so he could hear what was said.

"Miss Parkinson, so lovely to see you again. Any more delightful tidbits for me?"

"Why did you portray Draco that way? He had no interest in going to the Yule Ball with Black. You were supposed to write an article on how stupid and ridiculous arranged marriages are! And imply it would be dangerous for all parties involved. Not directly attack Black and paint Draco as a dutifully lovesick lapdog!"

"Why, Miss Parkinson, what do you care if I attacked Black? I thought you hated her?"

"I do! But what you insinuated... Don't you understand what they could do to her?!?"

"So?"

"So!?! So?!? It's atrocious! It's one thing to willingly lock your magic, but quite another to have the choice taken from you!"

"I don't quite see the difference. After all, every pureblood girl does it. And quite a few half-bloods."

"Of course you wouldn't! Your parents are mudbloods! You're almost one yourself! What would you understand about family magic?"