The Order of the Phoenix

Fred stepped out of the fire and into his parents' sitting room. Thankfully the room was empty, but Fred could hear many voices in the kitchen. He guessed that his mother had actually finished cooking dinner.

Skeeter emerged just as Fred moved out of the way. She looked mildly jumpy and nervous as her piercing eyes scanned the well-worn room.

"They're in the kitchen."

She nodded and moved away from the hearth; just in time to give Mooney and Tonks room as they flooed in together.

Tonks scanned the room and pursed her lips in annoyance. "Someone is supposed to stay in here and watch the floo. I swear!" She stormed out of the room, almost knocking over a battered end table as she went.

"Well, no time like the present. Your parents have been worried sick about you," Mooney said, following after his fiancee.

For the first time since waking up in Skeeter's safehouse Fred felt true doubt. Would his parents still want him without George?

He was half of a whole.

Broken.

"Let's go, Weasley." Skeeter said, moving towards the door. "Before Miss Black decides to leave Hogwarts and do this herself. Blacks aren't known for their patience."

The idea of Hermione sneaking out of the safety of Hogwarts - and likely bringing his siblings with her - got Fred moving. No, Blacks were not known for being patient.

He stepped into the doorway of the magically expanded kitchen. No one even noticed him.

Tonks was quite busily lecturing the room at large.

"-is no excuse! ANYONE could break into the Ministry and mess with the floo network!!! Constant Vigilance! If Moody was here-!"

"Relax, Tonks. I set an alarm. Anyone not carrying a Catchpole Coin would set it off." Padfoot said as he stood up from his spot at the end of the table, next to Alianore.

"And what if a Death Eater had put one of us under the Imperius?!?! Or taken one of us hostage?!?! Why are you suddenly getting so stupid and lazy?!? Between this and what happened at the graveyard I am utterly disg-"

"Now, Dora, we've been over this," Mrs. Malfoy said soothingly. "We did not know he had enough dementors to break through our protections. Also, we had to draw him out and prove to the public beyond a doubt that he was back."

"Not to mention we need him to lead us to the missing horcrux." Padfoot nodded at Professor Snape, who was sitting as far away from the Blacks as he possibly could. "Snape will let us know where the Dark Lord goes next and we will meet him, destroy the horcrux, and eliminate him. Yes, we made a mistake, but not everything can go our way. This is war."

Fred closed his eyes and took a deep breath before stepping fully into the kitchen.

"I know where Voldemort is going."

Chairs scrapped as over a dozen wizards and witches spun in their seats. Some raised their wands, but many just stared in shock.

Well, all except for one witch.

"FRED!!!"

His mother practically flew across the kitchen. He didn't have time to do anything before he found himself enveloped in the loving embrace of his mother. For a single heartbeat Fred stood there frozen, uncertain on how to react. It had been many, many years since he had allowed his mother to hug him like this.

It had always been embarrassing.

Except this time it wasn't.

"Mum-" His voice came out as nothing but a croak and she hugged him tighter.