Giants

Fred stepped quickly from the fireplace and reached up to check on Skeeter. She was still there, hiding under his collar.

He still wasn't entirely sure about having her come along, but it felt like the right thing to do. Especially as he did owe her a life debt and he rather disliked being indebted to people.

"Oi, Fred, you're with Diggory here. Stick together and fly straight to Hogwarts." Bill called out from the center of the grungy little pub.

It still surprised Fred that the owner of this place was Albus Dumbledore's brother. It was just so...well, grim. Very unlike the Headmaster's office. That room had always been a feast for the eyes. George and he had visited whenever Mcgonagall had found them too exasperating.

Grief flashed through him at the memory of his time at Hogwarts. Would the pain never end.

"Alright there, Weasley?" Diggory asked, looking at him with concern.

Fred pushed his ancient thoughts away and gave a sharp nod, "Yes, and go ahead and call me Fred. Too many Weasley's running around."

Hopefully this would also help him get over his constant need to say he wasn't Fred. He wanted that joke laid to rest with George. Not that George was really laid to rest. Fred didn't know where his brother's body was, but he knew he never wanted to see it again. Didn't want to see those empty eyes, that empty body. It was already so hard, feeling that empty connection.

"Well, if you say so," Diggory said doubtfully.

"I do. Now, let's go. My friends are waiting on me." Fred pulled his broom out of his drawstring bag and strode outside, the other man fast on his heels. Least he wouldn't have to worry about if Diggory could keep up with him. You didn't play seeker if you were a slouch on a broom.

Stepping outside, he found Hogsmeade to be eerily quiet. It wasn't even that late, still the dinner hour, but the cool spring air carried no sounds over it.

"This is spooky," Diggory said, looking around.

"Very, but there's no time to stop and study it," Bill said, joining them outside with Charlie.

"Right. Everyone is already off. Keep your eyes open for any oddities on the way," Charlie stated as he mounted his broom.

Fred wrinkled his nose, he didn't like being told what to do by his older brothers, but they were right and the current state of affairs was much too serious for him to argue just for form's sake.

The four of them pushed off from the ground and rose quickly into the air. Once at a good altitude they pointed their brooms towards the castle and sped off.

Even as Fred leaned over his broom he reached up and lightly touched his collar, checking for the little beetle. Just to make sure, after all, he had a life debt to keep.

XXX

Hermione raced into the Entrance Hall, a multitude of students on her heels, many of them still chanting, "For Hogwarts!" She couldn't believe there were so many following her.

Didn't they realize this was a battle?

People at died at the Battle of Malfoy Manor, the Battle of Godric's Hollow, and the Attack on Little Hangleton.

People would likely die today.

Voldemort was in the castle. His horcruxes were almost all gone, and he knew it. He also knew he was the master of the bloody Death Stick.

Well, the last one was debatable as to its truthfulness. Maybe the cursed snake was the master. Wouldn't that be a laugh?

She snorted and yanked the door to the castle open, several other students assisting her.