Trusting Family

The fire roared – making Hermione look up from her book. Out stepped her Aunt Andy, a thunderous look on her face. She didn't even glance at Hermione as she stormed out of the room and down the hallway. A moment later a loud slam resonated through the house, making it shudder.

Now, that was curious. Hermione couldn't think of the last time she'd seen her aunt this angry. And she was obviously angry at Padfoot. Just what had her dad done?

Quietly she put her book down and slipped to the doorway of the sitting room. Cautiously she glanced out into the hall, but saw no one. Distantly she could hear raised voices coming from Padfoot's study down the hallway.

She moved slowly and quietly until she was standing outside the closed door. She could almost make out what her aunt was saying. She glanced around quickly to make sure no one was nearby, then she laid down on the floor, pressing her ear to the crack under the door.

"-the HELL do you think you're doing! I almost had a heart attack when I opened the door! I TOLD you not to meddle! That it wasn't your business! Some things-"

"Andy, calm down, I didn't meddle." Padfoot said soothingly. Hermione could picture him holding his arms in defense.

"Then how do you explain my sister showing up?!? She was asking to mend things! Wanting to repair the family! You, Sirius Orion Black, are the head of this family! You're the only one that could get her to back down after ignoring me for two decades!"

"Why don't you sit down and let me explain? I swear I didn't meddle. Not really. I didn't think she'd do it."

Aunt Andy scoffed, "And just what is she trying to do? Get a piece of the Black pie for her son?"

The room was silent, Hermione really wished she could see her dad's face. Then there was a shocked gasp, which she assumed came from her aunt.

"She is? Isn't she? She wants to make amends, try to get you to leave something to Draco one day!"

Padfoot gave a harsh bark of laughter, "If only. No, she wants more than that. Apparently she's got it into her head that Hermione and Draco would make a good match. They could merge the two families. She thinks Hermione would be good for Draco. She's likely right. Though I don't think Draco would be good for Hermione."

Hermione stopped listening, the words she'd just heard racing through her head. She jumped up and stumbled down the hallway, covering her mouth with her hand. Trying not to be sick.

Her.

And Draco Malfoy.

A match.

Was Narcissa Malfoy insane!?!

How could she ever think that Hermione could marry the son of a Death Eater? The son of the man that had bribed enough people to turn Bellatrix Lestrange's sentence from a kiss to life imprisonment. An action that had likely been prompted by Narcissa Malfoy? The proud nephew of that same witch who had murdered her parents? A boy that thought mudblood was a more acceptable term than muggleborn?

She made it to her bathroom and shut the door. Shaking, she leaned back against it and slowly slipped to the floor. Was this because she'd insulted and corrected Malfoy on the train? Had she been so nasty she'd impressed a Death Eater? Did they think she really was the person she'd pretended to be in the diary? That she was a 'good' Black? That she was like Bellatrix Lestrange?