Shield

For half a heartbeat relief pooled in Narcissa's stomach as Draco refused to take the Dark Mark.

It had worked.

It had bloody well worked.

He didn't admire the Dark Lord. He wouldn't chain himself to a man that would only bring him misery, heartbreak, and likely death.

Too bad she hadn't expected the marking to occur this early, though she had at least been semi-prepared for it. Hence her order to Dobby about the serving platter and its placement on the table.

Once those thoughts had flitted through her mind, she burst into action. The Dark Lord was speaking, but she paid him no mind, she knew what spell he was going to cast. Not that it truly mattered, not with goblin-forged items.

She leapt forwards, she could feel Draco and Lucius reaching out, trying to stop her, but she was faster. She had to be faster if this was going to work.

Her hand grabbed the veal covered platter and yanked it up. Pieces of meat flew everywhere, she stored the memory of a piece hitting Bellatrix in the middle of her forehead. Andy would love to see that bit.

She did it.

Green light crashed into the silver platter and bounced off again.

She almost shouted for joy when she saw she'd gotten the angle right. Crouch dropped to the ground, as dead as he had claimed to be over a decade ago. It wasn't as satisfying as torturing him to death, but it would work. He wouldn't harm anyone else that belonged to her ever again.

Chaos erupted and spells began flying everywhere. She flipped the platter and pressed the small lever she'd found on it years ago. Instantly the handles moved and changed. She slipped her left arm through them, wearing the platter like the shield it was made to be over a thousand years before.

Nothing lasted quite like goblin-forged items.

She felt a surge of relief as she realized that Lucius stood beside her, casting spells at his previous cohorts.

Apparently love was strong enough to break chains.

She kept backing up with Lucius beside her. She could hear Draco and his classmate, Theodore, casting spells not far behind her. She couldn't look, but she knew they just had to go another few feet and they would be out. She could cast a few locking charms on the door, give them enough time to reach the floo in the drawing room.

Almost there.

It would work.

It had to work.

A scream erupted next to her and she saw Lucius go down, his skin was bubbling and steam was coming out of every orifice.

She froze as it took all of her willpower to stamp down the Black bloodlust that threatened to consume her. Lucius was HERS. How DARE they kill him? She'd given her heart and years of her life for this man. She'd been prepared for him to be unable to fight free. Been prepared to misplace or lock him up until Voldemort died.

She hadn't been prepared for him to die. Couldn't even imagine a world without him in it.

She blocked one spell and let her eyes scan the crowd of death eaters around her dining room table. Many of them were still staring in confused shock, not quite able to grasp what was occurring. But there was one exception - Bella.

Her bitch of a sister was laughing as she watched Lucius' body grow still.

For just a second Narcissa gave in to the desire for revenge. She fired a nasty hair-strangling curse and then cursed as Bella jumped out of the way at the last moment.