Teenage Rebellions

Third year started with Malfoy visiting them, once again, in their compartment on the Hogwarts Express.

Interestingly, he decided to leave as soon as Hermione asked how his mother was. She might've mentioned having tea with her at their Aunt Andy's house. The rest of the train ride went very smoothly.

As did the first few weeks of school. She enjoyed her new electives. She'd wanted to take all of them, but Padfoot had forbidden it. So she'd ended up taking Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, and Muggle Studies - very curious to learn more about her heritage. She heard there was almost an incident over a hippogriff in the first Care of Magical Creatures Class, but Harry had been standing close and watching Malfoy.

As soon as Malfoy had insulted the creature Harry had grabbed him and yanked him out of the way. A moment later Hagrid had pulled the hippogriff away. Malfoy had complained, threatening to tell his father, only to be interrupted by Nott laughing and pointing out that every witness there could prove Malfoy had insulted the hippogriff after being told not to. He had quickly shut up after that and resorted to scowling and muttering about back-stabbing house mates. Everyone except Parkinson ignored him.

On Hermione's birthday she awoke to the normal assortment of candies and books from her friends and family. One gift was rather unique though. She received a book entitled 'Ancient and Noble Dueling Practices' from the Malfoys. Accompanying it was a series of photographs depicting quite a few ancient and rare antiques. The attached note stated:

Miss Black,

We would like to offer you our best wishes upon this anniversary of your birth. We apologize for failing to acknowledge all of your previous birthdays. To make up for this please look at the enclosed photographs and select an object you would like. Some we have acquired over the past decade, others I liberated from the vault I inherited upon Bellatrix Lestrange's very deserved incarceration. We have great faith that you will ensure that whatever item you so choose is well taken care of for future generations.

Respectfully,

Mr. and Mrs. Lucius Malfoy

The handwriting was very feminine and elegant, obviously written entirely by Mrs. Malfoy. Hermione wondered idly if Mr. Malfoy knew anything about the marriage plans. Though he'd have to be an idiot not to realize something was going on after this past summer. As for the extravagant gift, she could only assume that Mrs. Malfoy was so willing to part with a treasure because she was sure that her marriage plans would come through, thus bringing the item back to the family.

Every item was gorgeous and on the back of each photograph was its name, as well as a description. She really liked the idea of asking for the shield, but the old Hufflepuff cup was also intriguing. After some thinking she was still unable to decide, so she gathered up the photos and went to pay Uncle Remus a visit, as he was their current Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

He'd listened to her explanation, read the note, and then began flipping through the photos. Upon reaching the cup he'd frozen, his eyes going wide and his hands starting to shake.

"Uncle Remus, are you alright?"

He mutely nodded, but didn't look at her, his eyes remaining fixed on the picture.

"Um, Uncle Remus, is something wrong with the cup? I was thinking about asking for it, but I also like the-"

He cut her off, "Ask for the cup. You can't keep it. I can't tell you why, but we'll make it up to you."