2. Hard Day's Night

I woke up around three in the afternoon, practically starving. A nice home-cooked meal isn't what I really crave in these days that I work my ass off from 5pm until 5am. I wouldn't rather collapse and die due to the lack of sleep.

The light of the late afternoon sun shone through the windows and open doors of the apartment. I walked around and stretched my legs a little, admiring the result of the general cleaning I made in this place earlier. I actually maneuvered to do it since the mess makers had gone to their business couple of months ago. I don't want to sound like a common-evil villain but I must say that for two months, I'd been having a good sleep because there were no constant bickering and instruments playing to keep me awake. There was nobody to interrupt my long showers, nobody to steal the remote and stop me from watching MTV. It did get a little lonesome when they weren't around. I hate to admit that I missed them.

Two hours before my shift at the Beerhouse, I quickly showered and got into my work uniform-- if you consider a tight, cropped blouse and a micro mini skirt a uniform. Although hungry I decided to skip food, I could always grab something at work and have it on break time. I was doing my hair and makeup in my room when I heard somebody's thumping of footsteps around the house. There was this familiar laughter and I knew from there that my friends had just got home from their trip.

I went to the living room and almost tripped over Steven who was lying on the floor, looking like a baby bird out of its nest.

"Steven, get up and sleep on the couch!" I bended my knees as I reached down to pull him up. Boy, he smelled like alcohol again. They all smelled that way.

"Oh my head hurts...." Steven slurred, his eyes shot open when he saw me helping him up. "You look like a clown with your makeup, Emilia."

"Why, hello to you too, Stevie," I said, his remark on my face earned a chuckle from Saul and their friend Duff who were feasting on the pizza they bought.

"Hey guys, it's great to see y'all again. How was the little tour?" I asked, walking into the kitchen.

"Mhhmm. It was all right," Saul answered, still munching on his pepperoni. "Played a lot, people were impressed. Hey, help yourself with pizza, Em. You look starved."

I took a slice and ate it quickly. I wish Saul would elaborate more but surely the alcohol wouldn't let him.

Duff searched inside the almost empty fridge. "Damn no beer, no vodka," he sulked.

"Sorry man, I couldn't do any grocery and booze shopping 'cause all the money went to Mrs. Smith's pocket.. there's still coffee in the cupboard though if you want something strong," I said while I sat on the chair to fix the laces of my sneakers.

"Wait, you already paid the rent?!" Saul asked, he seemed quite alarmed. I'm surprised.

"Ah yes? We were two months behind and if I didn't hand over the money Mrs. Smith would've kicked my ass out while you guys are on your lil' tour!" I replied in defense.

"Emilia, I told you I'd take care of the rent! We just had to do loads and loads of gigs away from the city but I told you to leave it all to me!" Saul went to get his wallet to pull out a few hundreds. "Here, take this" he said, handing the money to me.

"Keep it," I pushed the money back to him and he glared. "I'm off to work, I'll see y'all later."

Saul said nothing and turned his back on me.

"Catch ya later, Duff. You too, Steven." I said, preparing to leave.

"Bye, Emilia! Have fun at work!" Steven said before he drifted off to sleep on the couch.

I wore my Papa's big old coat and grabbed my purse.

"I'll come with you," Duff suggested as he followed me outside.

"Thanks."

"You know you and him fight like an old married couple," he said, smiling.

The two of us kept walking. "I dunno what has gotten into his ass. If he keeps on throwing fits like that, I'm gonna call him Axl Rose No. 2," I said and we both laughed. "Where the hell are Axl and Izzy, by the way?"

"They're with their girlfriends for sure. Axl could use a break, he needs to rest his voice." Duff ran a hand through his dyed-blonde hair. "That California to Washington trip was one hell of a tour..."

"Why so? Did something happen? Is that why Saul's not himself?"

"Van almost broke down, ran out of gas. Axl was a grouch while your best friends were being antsy... but it's nothing we can't handle."
At least Duff here was willing to share the details I'd been wanting to hear. We stopped in a corner to talk further. It was a tad early and I wasn't rushing to work.

"All the shit happened pays off 'cause people appreciate our music and that's all what we're aiming for."

"Now you sounded like John Bonham, 'it's not what you are, it's what you're playing,'" I said.

"I don't. But you're right," Duff wriggled his brows. "I gotta tell you this, Emilia. We've been told loads of times that we sound like
nobody."

"Well if y'all gotta make it, orginality and creativity are the key."

"Right on," he agreed. "And a dash of sex appeal shall do the trick. We don't just remove our tops and show our tatts for nothin'."

I snorted but ended up laughing. "All right, sexy. Let's get going," I said, pulling Duff by his long arm as we continued to walk.

"Oh girly, we might crash into your place again, you know including Ax and Izz. Maybe later in the evening."

"Okay."

"Slash said we could do the band practice there. I'm telling you this to see if it's okay with you."

"Yeah, it's fine with me. Saul already said so, right?" I crossed the street with Duff behind me. "But remember the rules: One, no breaking of things; two, no drugs and lastly---"

"No girls while in your place."

I smiled at him. "That's right."

"Don't need to tell me twice, doll. You're the only girl we need," Duff winked.

"Haha. I'm so touched," I made a fake smile and playfully punched him on the arm but I ended up hurting my knuckles because man, his bones were big.

Duff didn't just walk with me. He stayed in the Beerhouse for an hour and ordered a vodka. I had to kick him out after because if Mac saw him I'd be damned. Mac recently found out that I'd been giving free beers to my friends and he'd been threatening to fire me since then.