3. All Apologies

The boys had regular gigs in the best bars and diners in the place. As for me, I asked our boss, Mr. Allen, the owner of the Beerhouse not Mac, if I could leave my job for a day. It was near September and school was about to start. I was determined to pass my application for a two-year vocational course.

After getting an application form and a take home exam from the college's admin's office, I bought some groceries and went home.

Everyone was all sleeping beauties when I came back. The Lafayette boys were gone, they probably left when I was away. Duff was bunked with Saul and Steven, and the three were snoring loudly in their room. Duff had been staying with us for a while, if he wanted to leave here all he had to do was tell me.

I put my papers on the table and started unpacking the groceries. I would start answering the documents once I was done cooking. While the chicken was being thawed I put the sliced potatoes in the pot and set them to boil.

I was making a cup of coffee when the presence behind me said, "Good morning, Em.."

"Good morning, Saul," I greeted back and drank from my cup. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah, I guess so..." he eyes was still shut.

I made him coffee and sat the cup in front of him. He was soon wide awake when he inhaled the scent of caffeine.
"Thanks," he said softly.

"Welcome," I replied as I cut the chicken to pieces, preparing them for frying. I wasn't really in a mood to talk to Saul. He didn't even apologize for being an a-hole to me lately.

"Watcha cookin'?" I heard him ask.

"Chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy for lunch."

"Can I help?" Am I hearing this? Let's all give Saul Hudson a round of applause for lending a hand!

"No I've got it," I hesitated, not giving him a chance to talk back.

I let the chicken cook in a medium heat. For the meantime I sat down and started filling up the application form, not minding the stares that was being given to me.

Name: Maria Emilia Reyes
Date of Birth: October 30, 1965
Age: 20 years old (almost)
Educational Attainment : High School Graduate from Bancroft Junior High, Los Angeles, CA
First Choice of Vocational Course: Caregiver/Nursing Aid? ---

"Look Em, I'm sorry I've been acting like a complete ass!" Said Saul which startled me. "I didn't want to be rude just forgive me, I'll do anything...Emilia, come on talk to me, darling."

I dropped the papers and looked at him. "I'm talking to you now and yes I forgive you, my friend."

Saul stood from his seat, came up behind me and locked me in a tight embrace. "Again I'm sorry. I guess I overreacted that night. I just don't want you doing everything by yourself especially paying the bills and stuff. We live here too and we should do all these things together and that's what friends and family do," he went on.

I patted his arm. "I know that. What I didn't know was when you guys would be returning from the tour because you never told me and I could not just wait for you. I had to pay the bills myself for a time, I think all of us wouldn't fancy living in the streets ..."

"Again I'm sorry. We should've told you or left you some money at least."

"Will you stop apologizing? It's over." I reached out to cup his face. "Just tell me next time if you're going away on a gig, tell me when you'll be back and all that jazz. And if you have problems with the band or anything, you can go talk to me. I may seem to spend less time with you and Stevie but you know how much I'm willing to support y'all in your career and how much I want to see your band get big..."