9. When the Day is Done, Run

People were starting to fill the seats of the auditorium so it was hard to locate where my friends were-- if they really came.

"We're on in 10 minutes!"

I stopped peeking through the curtains and went to look into the mirror. I put more powder on my face to make myself look paler. My hair was tied loosely with a bow and I wore a 50's style German dress in a pale pink color. Now I'm definitely a 16 year old girl.

The stage manager told every cast and production crew to gather around. We held hands and said a little prayer led by the director.

"Break a leg everyone!" she told us.

I did a sign of the cross and hoped that I wouldn't really break my leg while performing.

The play began. We started with Do Re Mi; then my scene with the guy who played Rolf and we sang Sixteen Going on Seventeen; the last songs for the 1st Act which were My Favorite Things, Lonely Goatherd and So Long Farewell were performed by the "children" including me and "Maria".

After the 1st act, we went back stage to our dressing rooms for a half-our break and preparation for the 2nd Act.

"Quick water break then retouching of the actors!" The stage manager yelled.

Everyone drank water and rested. I quickly removed the high-heeled shoes which were killing me.

"We're not supposed to be here man!"

"Like I give a damn. There she is, the star!"

I was startled by the voices. Steven and Saul were in our dressing room, holding a bouquet of roses. Good thing, we weren't on a wardrobe change when they barged in.

"Guys!" I squealed and ran up to them on barefoot. "I thought you'd never come!"

"That's rubbish. We wouldn't miss your show for the world," Saul gleamed.

"I couldn't take my eyes off you, Em," Steven whispered, sneakily giving me a kiss. "Oh, we bought you this. I hope we picked the right flower and color."

They gave me the bouquet and I smelled the roses, "I love the flowers, thank you guys. Where's the rest of the group?"

"They were just behind us..." Steven said.

"They went outside to do some stuff," Saul said to Steven.

They exchanged looks and I stood between them, oblivious of what they were talking about.

A fellow actor broke the awkward silence.

"You're actually friends with the Guns N' Roses dudes?"

I nodded slowly and that's all it took before everyone started rushing to my two friends. For a few minutes everyone was rather awe-stricken until the production head shouted that it was time for the retouch of the performers.

"No outsiders in the backstage, please. Thank you," the production head said.

I glanced at Saul and Steven who looked like they enjoyed all the attention. I swear I saw kiss marks all over their faces.

"Meet us outside," Saul said, going for the exit.

"Catch ya later, Emmy," Steven hugged me before following Saul.

Another hour spent on stage for the last act. Most of the songs performed were all reprises. After the play we said goodbye to the crew and staff of God's Angels. Penny, a little girl from the foster home, also the one who played lil' Gretl, hugged me and I gave her a pack of candies from my duffel bag before she left with the staff.