4. Been a Long Time Since I Rock and Rolled

" 'The band that wouldn't die'," I read aloud as I took a close look at the pink flyer. I found the material posted on a wall on my way to the theatre.

It was still thirty minutes till ten but I assumed the band was on preparation for their performance. I couldn't remember the last time I had went to these events.

The whole place was crowded. And it was toasty too no wonder why men here unbuttoned their polo shirts and the women wore short clothes. I had to keep my head up in search for my buddies. At the front a band whose name I didn't know was playing a medley of country rock songs. Nobody from the band looked like Henley or Frey but they sounded so similar to the Eagles. I just stood in the crowd and watched them.

In the middle of my trance I was pulled and dragged to the corner. I squirmed from the grip and managed to elbow their stomach.

"Whoah! Easy there, tiger!" It was just Saul, laughing his ass off.

I slapped his arm. "It's not funny! You could've been someone who's planning to assault me!"

"Hey, like I'm gonna let that happen to ya," he was still grinning. "You alright? Come on, you can watch us from the backstage. We're just warming up until our turn comes."

"What warm up you guys are doing?"

"Chicks and booze."

"Eew," I scrunched my nose. "I think I'm just gonna stay here and watch y'all like a real audience." The truth was I didn't really want to go with him and and see all them guys doing stuff and things with them girls.

"All right, suit yourself," Saul shrugged and began to walk back to the back stage. "But please stay in a place where I can see you at least!"

I smiled and ran to him. "Yes, sir!" I pinched his nose and said, "You most probably won't need it but good luck!"

He just smiled, waved and disappeared. I returned my attention to the performing band. When they finished, they took a bow and left the stage. There was a loud applause before the lights turned dim. That was when the applause turned to screams and shouts, everybody knew which group was next in line.

I, too clapped in anticipation. Go boys! Go rock this place down!

"ARE YOU READY?!!" A voice screeched between the blinking lights. "ARE YOU READY FOR THE MOST DANGEROUS BAND IN THE WORLD?!"

All I could hear was the loud chorus of yeah's and chanting of "Guns N' Roses".

Axl's introduction did trigger a lot of energy but when Saul played the familiar riff of Welcome to the Jungle, all the attention were fixed and focused to the band only.

The guitarists and bassist shredded their instruments while the drummer banged the percussions with all his might, his golden hair banging along the wild beat. But it couldn't be denied that the raging voice of the singer and his electrified stage presence had driven the audience crazy, especially the females who were like vixens ready to pounce on the band. I couldn't blame them though, even I myself got hooked.

During their jamming sessions in our place, it would seem that they're just messing around, not taking it seriously but when on stage, their silly and childly behavior seemed to vanish. They perform like they're the only musicians in the world, that the stage is just a small playground of theirs. People could see it; the sincerity, the madness-- the whole play to express not to impress thing. And that is why people love them.

Another song came up. The guys were all looking and smiling at me. I grinned and mouthed "thank you" as I started to move with their cover of Jumping Jack Flash and started jumping and shouting, "I love you guys! Woohoo!" They just laughed while they continued to play and everyone around probably thought I'd gone mental.