6. Season of Loving

The bell rang.

"Alright class, remember to do the modules, also I'll be expecting the written reports about our outreach in the God's Angels Foster Home. All requirements to be submitted on January 3rd the next year. Enjoy your holidays everyone!" Mr. Kinsley reminded us before dismissing our class.

I blended with the crowd, excited to go as everyone else. It felt great to survive the first term.

"Em! Wait for me!" My classmate, Joanne was running to catch up. We spent lunchtime and studytime together since the term started.

We walked through the hall together.

"How are you going to spend Christmas?" she asked.

I shrugged. "If I get my bonus later, I'd be over the moon." We both laughed. "But I really want to go see my family."

"I think all of us want that." Joanne said. Her ride was waiting when we got out the college compound. "Merry Christmas, Em! See you next year!" She said and left.

I went straight to the Beerhouse. Thankfully it was still open despite most of the businesses being closed on Christmas Eve.

"Ah! There's my beautiful dedicated worker and now a college girl!" Mr. Allen exclaimed.

I blushed at Mr. Allen's remark. He was a nice person and a great boss except for the times he'd make Mac in-charge then all hell breaks loose. I hadn't even seen that man for a long while.

"I'm glad you made it as I was just about to close down. Carrie and Beth had already gone here," he said. He handed me the small brown envelope, "This is for you, honey. Go spend time with your friends and family and have a wonderful Christmas!"

"Happy holidays too, sir. And thank you so much!" I was so overjoyed that I hugged Mr. Allen tightly.

Without wasting another minute, I went to the nearest open department store and shopped for gifts. I bought Miguel some t-shirts and shoes, for Juancho a Sultans of Swings CD, a bottle of Bailey's and Havana cigars for Papa, and for Mama I bought her a salmon-colored Sunday dress and a quite pricey perfume.

I didn't neglect the food shopping either. I was sure the boys would love it if I wouldn't just put instant foods on the table and since it was going to be Christmas it wouldn't hurt to buy several cans of beer.

So there I went, going home carrying two heavy shopping bags. Luckily Steven was around to help me put everything away.

"I'm cooking everyone's favorite for dinner," I spoke to nobody in particular. It was seven-thirty in the evening and I should start cooking the pasta and do the meatball recipe but there were pending chores that had to be done if we wanted this entire place to be clean for the mini-Christmas party.

I asked Steven to clean for me while Saul was busy sulking in my bedroom. Duff volunteered to buy more booze, vodka to be specific. He said he wanted everything to be more lively and interesting. I had to ask myself, am I that boring?

I started cooking while Steven helped around. Axl and Izzy came around eight with an acoustic guitar. I told them Duff had left to buy his stuff and Izzy asked if Saul was around.

He was still in my room, lying on my bed while reading a book.

"They're looking for you. Aren't y'all working on a song right now?" I asked as I sat next to him.

"I don't feel like doing anything at the moment," he said, never looking at me.

"Is it about Michelle?" He didn't say a word. "You can tell her to come over. Nothing's better than spending Christmas with friends and loved ones." Yes I did make a "no bringing of girls rule" but it was strictly about not bringing girls for one night stand's. Besides Michelle wasn't just a girl. She was Saul's girlfriend and their relationship's had gone steady despite Saul's notorious "friendliness" towards woman.