7. We Never Seem to Find the Time

Time flew faster for the better. It wasn't only the beginning of 1986 that had been bountiful, whether it was the feng shui Mama gave me or the hardwork we exerted, we were happy to get on the good route to our goals.

It was just me in living in the apartment. The band had moved to their own place in Fountain Ave. closer to the recording company they were associated with. As much as I hate to admit how I badly missed them, I was happy for them because they were almost right there on the top. I hoped I would still be able to reach them.

My life basically revolved around college, work and the campus's theatre group. Being a member and a performer in the City College's Theatre Guild caused me to pay 30% less on my tuition fee. It was really tiring physically and mentally but I enjoyed every moment.

One day we were in a dress rehearsal for the stage play Sound of Music, our last play before the end of the school year. The rehearsal ended smoothly but everybody was tired.

"Well done, ladies and gents! I expect this kind of performance next Saturday. Be here 4 hours before the show, we need to make a dry run with all the props and costumes. For now, keep rehearsing your lines and movements. Orient your mind and body as well. Spend your weekend preparing yourselves, everyone!" was our director's instructions before we all called it a day.

We cleaned up and tucked the costumes into the dressing room. I changed into a button up blouse and black slacks because I was all-sweaty.

Norman, one of the props and technical crew asked us, "Who else wants to get tickets? Y'all could sell them to your folks and buddies!"

"I'll take two, please. My parents wanted to see the play," Elise, the girl who had Brigitta's character said.

It was actually a fundraising event because the proceeds from the ticket sales would go to the foster homes the Guild had been supporting.

I wondered if the boys would be interested. After all, it was for a good cause.

"Could you give me five, Norm?" I asked and he gave me the tickets. "Thanks."

I rode a bus to the apartment. Since it was Friday, rush hour, the West Hollywood traffic hindered me from going home early. As I tried to sleep in my seat, I overheard the two girl's conversation behind me.

"The band I'm telling you about is at the Troubadour tonight. No gigs, Brenda says they come there often for booze and bitches."

"Ooh. Then we gotta make sure we seem 'em closely. What's their bands name again?"

"It's Guns n' Roses."

I didn't get the chance to look at their faces because I already left and walked like a zombie towards my apartment. I wouldn't be surprised that those girls knew them. Most in my school talked about them. The band had grown popular and as what they mentioned in one of their calls, they were starting to perform in clubs around and sometimes outside the state.

The door was unlocked and I started to panic, thinking that somebody broke in. But it was just Saul sleeping on the couch with his mouth hung open.

I sat on the space beside him and played with his curly locks. "Wakey, wakey Sauly," I cooed. I noticed he had a nose ring, I didn't know what to say really. I guess it would look good if the person wearing it knows how to present themselves.

He eyes slowly opened but he quickly pulled away when he saw my face scarilly close to his. "Damn. Scared the shit outta me, Em," Saul said, wiping the drool from his mouth. He composed himself then hugged hugged me tightly. "I've missed you." His breath was as ticklish as his hair against my neck.