Ch. 5.3- Marriage Bed, Death Bed

This is a shorter update as I'm currently preparing for my sophomore year, doing fun things like working and registering for classes and signing a lease. The remainder of chapter four will be done in about a week.

- Swpoet

* Also, please comment! I need, and LOVE, reader feedback :)

___________________

My feet feel weighed down with lead as I walk through the corridors of the palace, the Yukkaiti and her rifle at my back. Halima stands beside me, clinging to me. The foreigner gave her a smirk but didn't make her leave, and though I doubt anyone can tell through my impassive expression, I'm absurdly glad for her presence. She's my talisman, my luck charm. A reminder that good survives amongst rot and ruin.

         Servants and Sholu's guards line the halls, watching our strange procession. Most of the servants look frightened, some are tearful; one even makes the sign of the goddess as I pass. A few try to smile at me, offering courage.

         Sholu's men smile, too, but not in solidarity. They smile in anticipation of my death, practically salivating with the promised violence. I feel like I'm being paraded through a pack of wolves. Their eyes burn my skin. Their sharp teeth snap together as I pass. It won't be long before they're gnawing on my bones-

         Halima squeezes my hand, letting me know I'm not alone. I squeeze back and stand up straighter.

         "Not long now, bitch," a stranger calls out. I flinch. They must notice the reaction, and the lack of reprimand from my escort, because the jeers continue.

         "They should've put you down years ago, you crazy cunt! The mad dog of the Dimaraste, now you'll die like a dog, too!"

         "We've placed bets on whether or not the fall will break your neck!"

         "I hope it doesn't. I hope you struggle on that end of that rope all day."

         "Do you know what happens to a hung corpse, girl? You'll piss yourself for sure. Probably shit yourself, too."

         "Let's ask the Deme not to cut her down, let the scavengers have her-"

         "No, let's cut her down ourselves and see what's under that tunic. It takes time for the muscles to freeze up, you know. And bodies stay nice and warm for a while, nice and soft..."

         I try to drown them out but I can't, so I just focus on not reacting. I imagine I'm Somitu, walking to the head of the table at a meeting. I might have disagreed with how she ran the family, but Somitu Amarin was regal. Head held high, face serene, shoulders back like she was comfortable in any room. She seemed almost untouchable at times.

         We wind through hallways and corridors, down two flights of stairs, and exit the palace through the main gate. The white stones lining the path out of the courtyard gleam beneath he punishing brightness of the desert sun, momentarily blinding me. I fight the urge to look down and instead close my eyes against the overwhelming light. I'd rather walk blind than bow my head.

         Halima takes my hand, and with her subtle guidance, I keep my steps straight until my eyes adjust.

         The first thing I notice when I open my eyes again are the desert Lilies. Shira planted them along either side of the path years ago, and over time the small plants grew into bushes that perfumed the courtyard and broke up the monotony of sand and white stone with shocks of vibrant orange flowers.