Ch. 6.1- House Rules

Hello again! This chapter is pretty rough because I'm moving tomorrow and have no time at all. I'll be editing it shortly. It's also mostly a set-up for chapter 5. pt 2, so excuse the lack of drama.

Shira

"You need me to do what?" Tyro asks.

         "Debrief me on council etiquette," I repeat. "The council's been called into emergency session because a so-called representative from Shikkah has shown up with a trade proposal, and I'm attending with Ambassador Nara. As his scribe."

         The tall, dark-haired man looks at me like I've gone completely insane.

         "Let me see if I understand this," he says after a heavy silence. "The escaped Izsai of Shikkah, who's supposed to be invisible for all intents and purposes, is going to attend a Grand Council session pretending to be the Head Ambassador's scribe?"

         "Yes."

         "And this council session will put you in the same room as a representative of the people who overthrew your family and want you dead?"

         "... yes." I repeat, wincing slightly. It does sound insane, once it's spoken aloud. Maybe I should just go back to my room and wait out the Ambassador's return, he said he'd tell me what happened-

         No. I need to be there, to hear and see it with my own eyes. I'm tired of running away from the sound of gunshots and hiding in cellars and fleeing on cargo ships. I'm tired of passivity; this is something tangible I can do, something that might help my mother and I. Information is currency.

         Tyro shakes his head and sighs. "This is... ill advised, to say the least."

         "I'll be fine," I assure both of us. "Just tell me what I have to do and I'll do it."

         "When does the sessions start?"

         "Seven."

         "Two hours?!" Tyro says loudly. "That's not nearly enough time to- just come with me, alright? And I hope you have a good memory, Shira. That and a lot of luck."

         Luck has been on my side so far. If I hadn't gone to watch the fireworks, if I hadn't stayed on that terrace a bit too long, if mother hadn't come to fetch me for the final round of toasting, if we hadn't stumbled across the dead guards, if I hadn't converted the old root cellar into a storage room for my seeds... yes, I've been very lucky.

         Tyro leads me down the hall to a small room outfitted with two chairs, a desk, and a towering bookcase. All covered in piles of papers. He motions for me to sit down and I do, waiting for him to close the door and join me.

         "The Ambassador has two offices?" I ask.      

         "No. This one's mine."

         I must look surprised, because he elaborates. "I'm the Ambassador's assistant. I run the household in his absence, run messages, attend council meetings as a scribe, offer advice." He smirks. "Though I suppose now my duties have expanded to collecting strange nobles on horseback."

          That makes sense- I knew he coulnd't be just an ordinary servant based on his rapport with the ambassador.

         He opens a desk drawer and rummages around, emerging with a quill and inkwell, and a handful of paper.

         "Here." The thrusts them at me, then sits down behind the desk. "Take notes."

         "Okay, first off, why is the council in emergency session?"