Ch. 2.5- Strange Creatures and Old Lovers

So this is the end of chapter two. Chapter three will be up shortly, with some more O'otani exploits. If you like the book, please consider leaving a comment, they keep me writing when lose motivation <3

ALSO, HofB is competing in @Fantasci's chosen one competition. Stop by their competition book next thursday to vote for it and help it get some visibility!

- Swpoet

___________

"Ambassador," Tyro says by way of greeting. I bow my head slightly, out of respect and my desire to avoid his gaze. It's the first time I've seen him in a week, since that night beneath the tree when I lost my mind and he helped me pick up the pieces. What expression will I meet with when I finally look up? Judgment? Pity?

When I finally dare to raise my eyes I see nothing out of the ordinary; he hasn't even noticed me yet. I exhale a sigh of relief, watching him greet Tyro with a smile and a firm Kamai handshake. "It's good to see you," he says "though it took you long enough to get here. I need you to get Taïs before-" his gaze flickers over to me, and I see confusion cloud his dark eyes before anger rises in their depths. I quiver.

"Tyro, what is Shira doing here?" He asks in a clipped tone, biting out his words like they taste of something foul.

I relax; his anger isn't directed at me.

"We were at the market when the summons came," Tyro answers calmly. "They said it was urgent and I didn't want to waste the time taking Shira back to the manor."

"So you brought him to the brothel!?"

"I-"

"Wait," Irei mutters. "This isn't a conversation I want to have in the parlor. Mirsi!" He calls, summoning the queen to the doorway. "I need to talk to these two privately. A room, please."

Her eyes sparkly. "Of course, Ambassador. Do you desire any other company?"

"You know the answer to that."

She laughs. "I wouldn't be a businesswoman if I didn't ask. Mark my words, one of these days you'll say yes."

"I have no interest in your- wares," he says after a pause. "Just a room."

"Well, I'm sure the three of you have a lot to talk about," she says as she leads us down the hall, her voice dripping with innuendo. "How could you not, with such a pretty bird beside you?" Her dark eyes flick to me. "I can see why you have no interest in my "wares," as you call them."

"You make a game of riling me," the Ambassador remarks. "Yet you've known me long enough to know it won't work."

Mirsi chuckles. "You can't fault me for trying."

"I can and will," he says when she opens the door, revealing an opulent chamber whose principal occupant is an oversized canopy bed covered in blood red linens. "The room is free."

She pouts. "Half priced."

"Free. And make sure no one disturbs us."

A glimmer of mischief comes back into her eye as she leaves. "Your wish is my command. No one will disturb you, sirs. Enjoy yourselves."

When the door shuts I glare. What a debauched woman.

"Now," the Ambassador says, turning on Tyro with dark eyes. "Tell me why you brought Shira to a shattered brothel!"

"I- forgot how they view pleasure houses in Shikkah," Tyro admits. "I didn't consider the fact that it would offend him."

"It's about more than offending him," the Ambassador growls. "I told you to keep him at the manor, but not only has he been to the market, he's been to a whorehouse too! I said to stay put. Were those not my exact words?"