Ch. 3.2- In the Midst of This Madness

This update's a little short. The next one will be longer, I promise.

- swpoet

_______

"But I've never left Arzsa!" Halima cries, her golden eyes widening with fear. "I've never even put a foot beyond the city walls!"

"Neither have I," I say, laying a hand on her shoulder to steady her. "But we have no choice, Halima. I need you to prepare yourself, and quickly; we leave in a day."

"A day?!" She exclaims. "Goddess, miss, that's not nearly enough time to pack for a trip north- there's all your silks to take, and your jewelry, and you'll need warm clothes made for the journey-"

"We're only going to Rizsava, not Imgyonstarn," I tell her. "The tunics I have are plenty warm enough. Just pack the silks and be done with it."

"I- yes," she says, grasping on to some solid purpose. "I'll pack the silks. Where is your trunk?"

"Under the bed," I tell her, moving to help her lift the large travelling box. "Just the essentials, Halima."

She's already laying exotic tunics embroidered with golden tassels in the box. "Essentials, yes," she repeats mechanically. "Just the essentials."

I don't correct her when she empties most of my wardrobe into the chest. Her hands are shaking as she packs, her face wan.

She stops, the question I expected first finally breaking through her initial panic. "Why are we going, miss? What's happened?"

"There's going to be a trial," I tell her as calmly as I can. "Sholu Verlaina is trying the Kyorin Dimaraste."

Her already pale face turns whiter still. "Goddess," she breathes out. "He's going to kill them, isn't he?"

"Probably," I answer, thinking it best to tell her the truth. To prepare her. "I expect a show trial and a swift execution."

"Goddess," she repeats, sitting down on the edge of the bed. Her hands clutch at her dress, worrying the fabric. "I don't think I can watch another hanging, miss. I don't think I can stand any more death."

"It will be alright," I say, sitting down next to her and pulling her body to mine. "So long as it's not us, it will be alright."

"Wait," she says, pulling away from my embrace. "Why are we going? Why is he taking you with him?"

"Why do you think?" I ask darkly, my anger rising at the thought.

"He wants to show you off, doesn't he?" She asks, aghast. "He- he'll parade you around to show that you're his prisoner. He'll have you drag your chains all the way from the palace to the north."

"I thought that too, at first." I tell her. "But then I remembered what he said that day on the gallows, why he let me live. The people think I'm a traitor who worked with him to kill my family. What would he gain showing me in chains when I'm supposedly on his side? When I've already been publically pardoned?"

"No," she whispers, her wide eyes filling with understanding. "He- he means to present you as allies, doesn't he?"

"I think so," I tell her. "In all likelihood I'm to be a political prop. It will have weight, if people see me walking willingly by his side."

"That's- that can't happen!" She chokes out, her little hands shaking. "To have all of Arzsa see you standing beside that devil wearing a human skin would legitimize every lie he told on the gallows!"