Chapter 27 - Challenge Accepted

After Blake and I had been talking with Aiden for hours and hours, we eventually had to go back home. The hospital wouldn't let us sleep there.

When we walk out of the hospital, the camera's flash and questions from reporters are thrown at us.

"Is your brother awake?"

"Why was he in the coma in the first place?"

"How have you and your family dealt with this situation?" I put my sunglasses on and Blake grabs my arm, leading me through the crowd who stick with us as we walk to the car that Blake came here in. 

We keep our heads down as we keep walking, the reporters right on our heels.

Now, most people think that being famous or well-known would be great.

It's not great when the world can eat up any dirt that was made up or may be true about you. They use your private life as entertainment for the world, without even asking permission from you.

Once we get in the car, Blake backs out of the car park, driving away before we can be drowned with questions.

"Phew," I say, taking my sunglasses off.

"Yeah," Blake says, taking his off too. "Phew."

-----

On Monday, the guys, Alex and I sit at the lunch table, trying to ignore that Alex and I are getting. I go up to the lunch line and see a bunch of girls staring at me in anticipation when it's my turn.

Are they watching what I'm going to eat? Wanting to be like me?

If they wanted to be skinny or have a flat stomach, they shouldn't have to starve themselves. I got my body from working out at the gym, mainly because of Kat.

I take three pieces of pizza and a soda just to see if they would take the same. Surely enough, they did. At least I didn't choose a plate of salad and a water bottle.

If these girls look up to me as a role model, I don't want them to be starving themselves just to try to look like me.

I go and sit down back at the table. The guys have one eyebrow raised when they see my tray with three pieces of pizza on it. I don't even say anything, gesturing to the line of girls who are now ordering pizza. They nod and go back to eating and chatting.

Just as I was about to take a bite out of my first piece, I see a girl standing on my right. I look up to see the same fake blonde hair and face full of makeup that I've come to know over the years.

Candice.

I put my pizza down. "What do you want?" I ask her, the guys have stopped their conversations to watch what's going on.

"I-I just wanted to a-apologize," She says in a quiet voice, looking down at her feet.

I raise both of my eyebrows and I blink. "Really?"

She looks at me now. "Yes, I was horrible to you for all those years," She says.

She wants forgiveness. She wants me to forgive her for everything that she's done to me. Even if I was being Lana, all of the teasing and insulting still hurt. It hurt a lot. She expects a simple 'sorry' to cut it and then what? We'll be friends? Talking to each other in the hallways?

"Candice, listen to me and listen good," I start. "All of those years, you were the leader of my torment. You lead it all, started it all and encouraged it all. You didn't even think once that it really hurt me inside. You saw me as an easy target, a toy that you could just play with at any time. So here's the thing. I'll try to forgive you Candice but I don't want to even communicate with you for the rest of the year. I'm not going to be friends with you, or even acquaintances. Just because I'll try to forgive you doesn't mean I'll like you or any of your minions," I say, looking at her straight in the eyes.