Prologue

"D-do you really have to g-go?"

Tears streamed downed her apple-like cheeks. She wiped them with her little hands and tried to keep them from falling, but failed miserably. 

"Mom and Dad said that it's for our future, Baby Bunny. I'm sorry." The young boy said, pain evident in his words. "I don't want to leave you. I even begged them to let me stay here with you so that we can play together and have fun but..." His voice trailed off, trying to keep his tears to himself.

"W-who would play with me? Who would t-treat me to ice cream every s-summer? Who would protect me from those big, b-bad, bullies? Who would I cuddle from now on? Mr. Cuddles is gone, and you're g-going to l-leave me too?" The little girl sat on the ground in despair and buried her face in her hands. Her beloved playmate rushed to her side.

"Look at me, Baby Bunny. I ca't leave you like this."

"Then d-don't l-leave!"

He managed to place his palms on her chubby cheeks and made her look at him. She was surprised to see him in tears as well. Her Baby Cuddles, crying? In the span of their friendship, this is the first time she saw him cry. Between the two of them, he was the stronger one and he never let anyone see him cry. Now, however...

"I-I dn't want to leave you too, Baby Bunny. If I was given the power over mom and dad, I would stay. I want to be beside you. Do you r-remember my promise? Baby Cuddles will forever be with Baby Bunny. But for now..."

"You're gonna b-break your p-promise, right?"

He shook his head. "Nope. I'm just g-gonna bend it for a while. So far, I've never broken any promises with you, right? I'm keeping that very important promise, Baby Bunny. Come with me."

He took her hand and they both ran towards the little boy's home. They went to the garden and saw a box beneath the mango tree. The two then approached it and peeked inside.

"A puppy!" The little girl exclaimed as she took the said animal from the box and cuddled it. The little boy then stroked the pup's fur.

"It's a golden retriever. My cousin's pet just gave birth to a bunch of them a few weeks ago. I asked one to give to you."

"F-For me? But maybe papa and mama wouldn't allow me to have a pet."

"I already asked tito and tita about it. They said yes, and so it's my 'parting gift' to you. Since I c-can't be here to cuddle you and protect you, he's going to do the job for me till I come back."

Eyes still glassy with tears, she looked at him with such a painful expression that the little boy felt his heart breaking into pieces. She returned the pup back in the box and hugged him with all her might.

"I don't want you to leave..."

"I'm sorry for making you cry, Baby Bunny. Please smile for me? I like seeing you smile."