Chapter 26

-Bernadette's Time-

Ah! So this is what Manila is like. I've only come here for short vacations and here I am now – about to study at one of the most prestigious schools in the country, University of Halzendor. They have the best culinary program and is also known for the rigorous training of its culinary students. Also, it's a four-year course. The first two years will be spent on learning all the skills and knowledge needed. On our third and fourth year, we'll be travelling around the world for our on-the-job training. Experience is still the best teacher, after all.

This is my dream school, and I'm lucky that Aunt Shiela helped me get a scholarship. This is the reason why I can't say no to her demands. I was raised not to forget debts, after all. I'm staying with my brother at an apartment near the school.

My summer vacation was spent on preparing for college. Up until now I still couldn't believe that I'm officially a college student. Jamella is taking up Pharmacy at a school near mine and thus we could still be together. Though I'm the only one studying at Halzendor from our batch, I'll take the chance to start a clean slate and gain friends.

Now, we're having the freshmen orientation. Gosh, this university is huge. One has to take a jeepney to go from one building to the next. Good thing that all my subjects are just in the culinary arts building. Afterwards, my newfound classmates and I toured the campus. I saw the big fountain at the garden, and being the childish person that I am, I told them to go ahead and went towards it.

Set in picture-perfect flowers and trees, the fountain perfected the look and feel – it became my favourite place already. I don't know what came over me, but I stepped on the ledge of the gigantic fountain. I continued to circle the fountain when I suddenly lose my footing. I closed my eyes, bracing myself for the impact.

Nothing.

Wait.

Falling should hurt, right?

Then why do I feel like floating?

"You're really accident-prone, aren't you?"

My eyes opened abruptly.

It can't be....

"Caleb?!"

Maybe this time

It'll be lovin' they'll find

Maybe now they can be more than just friends

---

New revelation: Caleb is studying at Halzendor too. He's taking up Business Administration. I'm still shocked with the news.

"Why didn't you tell me that you're studying here too?! I thought you'll study at Clintville Univerisity," I said after taking a bite on my muffin. He treated me lunch at the cafeteria of the school.

"I told you that we'll still see each other right? Why? Are you not happy that I'm here?" And now he's pouting. He actually looks cute.

"N-No!" Ugh, that came out too forceful. "I'm just shocked, you know. And you never told me!"

"Well it won't be a surprise if I told you."

"Point taken." I grabbed my water and took a sip. I almost chocked on the liquid when Caleb brushed his thumb on the side of my lips.

"You have a crumb on your face," he remarked.

I could practically feel my face heat up.

"T-Thanks."